Alternate play and sleep

KiwiDaWeirdo

Sep 9, 2022
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure
Can I know for a sick bird do they usually sleepy throughout all day? Or sick bird can still alternate between play active and sleep?

My sun conure 10 months old was alternating between sleep and play and eat. Morning he is energetic and does preening and eat pine nuts and sunflower seeds as treats. But after feeding formula he will turn sleepy and most of time sleepy in the afternoon if he has nothing to do. If he has his favourite toy or food he will still go for it.

In the past day I noticed quite a bit of down feathers around but he has no bald patches. No tail bobbing. No breathing from mouth. Was given antibiotics one week back as vet suspect bacterial infection though they can find anything. Had difficulty getting my bird to take the full dose due to flinging from his mouth etc.

Is my conure sleepy due to moulting or is really sick?

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Can I know for a sick bird do they usually sleepy throughout all day? Or sick bird can still alternate between play active and sleep?

My sun conure 10 months old was alternating between sleep and play and eat. Morning he is energetic and does preening and eat pine nuts and sunflower seeds as treats. But after feeding formula he will turn sleepy and most of time sleepy in the afternoon if he has nothing to do. If he has his favourite toy or food he will still go for it.

In the past day I noticed quite a bit of down feathers around but he has no bald patches. No tail bobbing. No breathing from mouth. Was given antibiotics one week back as vet suspect bacterial infection though they can find anything. Had difficulty getting my bird to take the full dose due to flinging from his mouth etc.

He sounds like he's moulting. Don't forget that at 10 months he's still growing so that will take a lot of energy too, and moulting on top of that will probably mean that he's a bit more tired than usual. I also find that this time of year (Autumn) makes my birds start to slow down and they become a bit calmer and will sleep more.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels

You took it to a vet and they weren't sure so that's a pretty hard question for us to answer. If this behaviour is out of character then something could be wrong. Have you changed anything in his routine recently?

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
It sounds like moulting (ps my birds are always suuuuper sleepy when they're moulting its semi normal id say)

Most Reactions

Latest posts