Bad bird parent??

ramarieat

Mar 15, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Parrots
Alexandrine parrot (Loki)
How bad of a bird parent would I be if I just let my Loki eat sweetcorn, peas, grapes, pomegranate seeds, blueberries oh and mash potato?
He kind of eats pellets, I say kind of as it's still a work in progress for him but I think I've finally found a pellet he likes as he eats this one better than any other ( it's only taken 19 months), he was on a seed only diet when I got at 5 months old feathers where dull and scraggy and his tail looked chewed on. It's been hard going but now he only get seeds as a treat. He has porridge for beakfast some mornings and sometimes egg he has fresh fruit and veg every day and his pellets which some days he eats and some he doesn't( more now with the new ones) I keep a record of his weight and Vets says he's in good body condition and healthy when saw him in January but I've notice he only really eats pomegranate seeds,blueberries,grapes, sweetcorn, peas and he loves mash potato ( no milk no butter no salt) so would it be terrible if that's all I gave him ??? At the moment he get a mix of fruit and veg which I try to vary each week but he only eats the same things.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
He sounds like heā€™s hard to please!

Personally, I would continue to offer him a variety and try to present it differently. Maybe you could offer him one type of vegetable in a new way. Try steaming, boiling, big chunks, tiny chunks, purƩed, mixed with a little chia seed, mixed with some ground flax etc.
I would only feed the mashed potato rarely, like, once a month. Will he try mashed sweet potato?

OP
ramarieat

ramarieat

Mar 15, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Parrots
He sounds like heā€™s hard to please!

Personally, I would continue to offer him a variety and try to present it differently. Maybe you could offer him one type of vegetable in a new way. Try steaming, boiling, big chunks, tiny chunks, purƩed, mixed with a little chia seed, mixed with some ground flax etc.
I would only feed the mashed potato rarely, like, once a month. Will he try mashed sweet potato?
Hi,
I seem to only ever get the weird awkward animals lol.
I've actually tried all of those things, Chia seeds and flax seeds get mixed in occasionally ( he's not a huge fan),big chunks just get thrown on the floor, tried steaming and boiling will still only eat seeetcorn and peas oh he does eat cooked carrot. He doesn't like sweet potato at all and he doesn't get mash often not as often as he'd like lol
the other day he ate some cherry when I say some I mean the smallest piece ever but hasn't eaten it again so we'll have to wait and see how that goes. I'm constantly trying new fruit and veg Hoping to find something else he'll like
If he could I think he'd eat what I'm having all the time,as he's always trying to steal it, I've even had to buy glasses with lids and metal straws as he kept trying to drink my drinks which isn't healthy or safe so for the last year I've taken to making my meals very parrot friendly and eating at the same time as him so it looks like we're eating the same stuff and he eats better that way but still only sweetcorn and peas,pomegranate,blueberries grapes, i did think about not giving him those foods and I tried it one day well he wasn't a happy bunny he didn't eat any fruit or veg he just threw it out of the bowl looking for the stuff he likes.
If i continue to offer him a variety for fruit and veg but he only eats the ones he likes will it do him any harm?? Especially now he's eating his pellets better which are ones designed for ringnecks.
I just want what's best for the little stinker.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Fussy parrot!! Yeah potatoes should be a rare thing, like zERo said. I keep offering new things to him, because if you stop, he will NEVER eat anything new. Keep offering the pellets he likes, because the diet you gave below, if used exclusively, is not a healthy one.

OP
ramarieat

ramarieat

Mar 15, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Parrots
Fussy parrot!! Yeah potatoes should be a rare thing, like zERo said. I keep offering new things to him, because if you stop, he will NEVER eat anything new. Keep offering the pellets he likes, because the diet you gave below, if used exclusively, is not a healthy one.
Thanks,
That's my main worry, that it's not healthy but how do you force them to eat something they don't want to he just picks around the other veg at least he's only 2 so i have time to work on him.

Navygal

May 15, 2023
Parrots
Congo African Grey
How bad of a bird parent would I be if I just let my Loki eat sweetcorn, peas, grapes, pomegranate seeds, blueberries oh and mash potato?
He kind of eats pellets, I say kind of as it's still a work in progress for him but I think I've finally found a pellet he likes as he eats this one better than any other ( it's only taken 19 months), he was on a seed only diet when I got at 5 months old feathers where dull and scraggy and his tail looked chewed on. It's been hard going but now he only get seeds as a treat. He has porridge for beakfast some mornings and sometimes egg he has fresh fruit and veg every day and his pellets which some days he eats and some he doesn't( more now with the new ones) I keep a record of his weight and Vets says he's in good body condition and healthy when saw him in January but I've notice he only really eats pomegranate seeds,blueberries,grapes, sweetcorn, peas and he loves mash potato ( no milk no butter no salt) so would it be terrible if that's all I gave him ??? At the moment he get a mix of fruit and veg which I try to vary each week but he only eats the same things.
Hi there,
what pellet brand does he like?
I am trying to find one for the
worlds pickiest CAG.

N.

OP
ramarieat

ramarieat

Mar 15, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Parrots
Hi there,
what pellet brand does he like?
I am trying to find one for the
worlds pickiest CAG.

N.
Hi,
Glad I'm not the only one lol.
I've tried all sorts of pellets ,big ones small ones medium ones coloured ones not coloured ones ones mixed with seeds nuts and dried fruit but fingers crossed this one seems to be the one he likes best and when I say he eats them well I mean he eats three whole pellets in a day lol but for him that's amazing.
The one he has is called psittacus, they do ones that are breed specific, this one of says is formulated for ringnecks and So far so good.
I hope this helps and you find something they like as I know how worrying it can be.

Rachel.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We can be so hard on ourselves when we want what's best for our birds and its obvious that you are trying. Don't worry. You're not a parront! You can only try to get him to eat the right food- you can't make him.

Nov 2, 2022
Media
Washington, DC, USA
Parrots
Astro (budgie) 1/20/23--3/31/23
Poppy (cinnamon cockatiel)
You mentioned that he tries to steal your food--maybe pretend you're eating the healthy stuff and let him take it?? That worked...sometimes...when I had Astro. Also, the less recognizable each individual food is, the better. I'd chop/mash and mix them all together. He'll go in for his favorites and hopefully end up eating the healthy stuff too ;) Wishing you the best of luck!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We can be so hard on ourselves when we want what's best for our birds and its obvious that you are trying. Don't worry. You're not a parront! You can only try to get him to eat the right food- you can't make him.
Typo- you're NOT a BAD parront! If you are, we all are.

Most Reactions