Bandit's nipping

Bandit

Mar 9, 2013
Bathurst, Australia
Parrots
1 normal grey cockatiel, 1 green cheek conure
He's been great up until last night when he started biting me because I was trying to get him to step up so I could cage him at bed time. It's not painful yet but i'd like to start training him not to do it before it starts to get painful.

How do I do that? At the moment i'm just ignoring his nips and continuing my request and rewarding him a lot when he steps up but I fear he might think i'm rewarding his biting, because he nibbles and nips the whole time he's stepping up (he's not doing it for balance).

So where do I start? lol. Thanks guys

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I just posted this reply to another member that is interested in training his bird, but is fits your situation also.....

"Clicker training" is a slang term used to describe a way of training animals that has become increasingly popular in the last decade because of its gentle methods. The scientific term for it is operant conditioning. As you'll see, clicker training has been successfully used on a variety of animals.....

While there are books explaining/teaching clicker training, you can find everything you need on the internet free, as well as videos on youtube.....the training sessions are not long in duration, anywhere from 5 to maybe 15 or 20 minutes at a time, so mornings would probably work well for your feathered friend, though you could just as well do two sessions a day.....

Good luck.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Stop ignoring his nips! Start avoiding getting nipped!

When people talk about nippy green cheeks, I like to mention Winston, one supposedly nippy green cheek conure that I got to "work" with one day (and one day only). Here's one of the threads that I've mentioned her in.

http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/27438-trusting-training-my-little-biter.html

If Bandit doesn't like going back to his cage you need to start making it a positive experience for him to go back! Take him back and give him a treat, take him to his cage and set him down then pick him right back up, put him in the cage but don't close the door, take him back out shortly after, give him foraging toys when he goes back, etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts