bare eyed cockatoo behavioral problems

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Use a long perch! You can buy wooden dowels at Homedepot or Lowe's pretty cheap. Use two to work with! If he goes from front use the other perch to block by lifting it higher.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I'm so sorry to hear about your aggression issues with your bare eyed. That can be so scary. The worst bite I have ever gotten was also from a goffins. He just kept grinding on my finger until I thought he would hit bone. I know this may be controversial however when it comes to a bird that has been rehomed so many times and obviously has this many issues I would suggest using Haldol. This is what my avian vet has recommended for severe pluckers in the past and I believe that it could help with your bird. It isn't expensive and you could try it for the 4-6 weeks which it lasts and then maybe it would be enough time to get your bird to start to trust you. This is just a thought and please don't everyone jump in and have a fit. It has been used for quite awhile on birds, my vet is a highly respected avian vet in Ohio and this is what he has used. I have not heard if it used for aggression, I would ask your vet, I don't know why it wouldn't work however.

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Woke up to check on rodney and he's doing well thank god....i work as a mental health therapist and I cringe at Haldol when it's given to patients not sure i could give it to my bird........doctor suggested Prozac i think if i'm going to use medication i'd go that way....Haldol makes people tired so I just can't imagine what it would do to a bird......thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Restless night you'll be having tonight checking on Rodney!!! I do the same thing....Let us know how he does tomorrow!

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
i will he hasn't ate anything I noticed...I think he will soon though fingers crossed

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
He should resume tomorrow as he had a rough day today! I removed one of my boys the other day from the aviary and I thought he was about to have a heart attack sitting there on the floor not moving and screaming. I picked him up and he was frozen in motion but kept screaming. I put him in another flight cage and he sat on the bottom for about an hour then he starts to move about. He ate the next day so he was fine but he scared me half to death. Never seen them do that before....

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Well, I don't know what's gotten into Rodney but he has cuddled with me for 3 hours straight this morning I figured this was enough stimulation so I placed him back on play stand......still hasn't eaten anything that I can tell not even a peanut...but I think he's ok. thank god

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
update..well Rodney has been stepping out of cage pretty well hasn't really offered to bite me at all....been cuddeling with me everyday.....only concern is that he has not been cracking his almonds like he he did in the past..and doesn't seen like he's eating that much period..

Monique1997

Feb 14, 2014
Media
Albums
Parrots
Bare eyed cockatoo (Corella), sun conure.
I know the thread is a bit old but please don't use the perch method, I don't understand why so many people believe it will work. If anything it will just give the bird even more reason to attack you, I agree with one of the earlier comments. Training is the only way to get through this, before I adopted my male bare eyed cockatoo (his history is for the most part a mystery, but the bit we do know is certainly disturbing) he attacked other members/volumteers at the rescue centre and only responded to me. The only problem was that he would bite me in the face and obviously carve my fingers whenever it was time for me to go. So first thing we did was make sure he was in his cage before I arrived, from there on I started working on getting him to accept treats. Once he started accepting the treats we moved to clicker conditioning (click = treat), as he learned what the click meant I started with target training. I allowed no physical contact during that first day and still remained focussed on training every other time he saw me. It will however be different for you and your cockatoo, I don't believe in using medication in CURING aggression. For now the best thing would be keep him in his cage when you have visitors and just work with him while he is in his cage. It's important that you remember that every time he bites you, there will be damaged done to your relationship so a bite is something you should avoid at all costs. If however he seems nervous and/or aggressive with you NEAR his cage then you have to star with that first and take things from there. Once he's accepting of you and has the basics down (such as target training) then you can use the same methods when socializing him with other people. Good luck and let us know how things go!

OLIPHEZTA12

Aug 18, 2020
Indonesia
Parrots
Lovebird: Tinkerbell
Cockatiel: Wall-E
Indian Ringneck: Pui
Crimson Bellied Conure: Gizmo
Sun Conure: Kai
White Bellied Caique: Hoki
Black Headed Caique: LaoBan
Goffin's Cockatoo: Ollie
African Grey:
I wish I could give you a good answer on this .I just took in a Goffin that was flying and attacking the family [minus the stitches ] .He was mad because he didn't have set times out and there was a big change in the family. They didn't want to deal with him anymore . I thought I would try because I was worried about the fate of this bird. At my house hes not doing that at all . But I was ready to keep trying different things.

I got a re-homed goffin's too... The real owner had 2 goffin's (the first one was escaped, so she bought the second goffin's. Then the first one was found, and both goffin's got into huge fight), so the owner had to let go the second goffin's. Let's call his name (the goffin's) Ollie.

Ollie firstly was sold to a man who had 2 mollucan cockatoos, and very confident with smaller birds. In fact when Ollie arrived at his place, Ollie bit him many times and flew away and scared. Then the previous owner bought Ollie back, and search for new home (offering if anyone in my group wants to adopt her baby goffin's).

So Ollie came to me, as a super energetic and confident goffin's too, which was totally different to his before-buyer. Now he has been with me for almost a month.

I just think, environment will affect parrot's mood. In my environment, Ollie becomes a very happy-go-lucky cockatoo, while with his previous buyer, he acted like he was totally wild bird that was terrified of hand and would bite your meat out of your bone.

Most Reactions