Barnaby Is Home, And I Am So Angry!! Please Read**

DawL

Dec 20, 2011
Hickory, NC
Parrots
CAG, Quaker, Sun Conure, Parrotlet, Budgie, 2 Tiels, Umbrella Cockatoo
Okay guys, so Barnaby is home with me now. Let me give you a rundown of things. We went and picked him up today. When they got there, they had him in a cockatiel cage as his travel cage. We loaded everything up, and as we did I asked the owner if he was definitely a male, and he said yes (although I would not be surprised if he is just guessing), and then I asked him the last time Barnaby had been to an avian vet, he didn't have an answer ( I doubt he has ever been) and said "He doesn't need to go to the vet". I just shrugged it off so that I could get Barnaby out of there. We drove home, Barnaby was quiet, but I noticed that his vent area was a bit dirty with poop. When we got home, I opened his "travel cage" up and he came right out...he DID NOT want to go into his big cage once I got it put together...

I saw that his food in the travel cage was cockatiel seed and fruity pebbles...yes, the cereal. He had absolutely NO toys in his cage, most of the perches were far too small for him, and the rope perches looked like he had been using them since Barnaby was hatched. I hung toys for him, tried giving him a lid to a juicy juice bottle, and a straw to play with, and he acted like he had no idea what to do with it at all. Now....here is where I get really mad.... while Barnaby was on his cage door hanging out, I saw him straining. I looked under him, and noticed he has a prolapse that is poking out when he strains! ! And then for him to say he doesn't need to go to the vet! It only comes out when he strains, and goes back into his body when he stops, so it is not hanging out....but there is no way they could have missed it...I mean, seriously. I had set up an appointment for him yesterday that was supposed to be for Monday, but I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can get him in tomorrow. Until then, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue? I mean, I have heard of the issue of prolapse, but had always heard that they would hang out of the body until they were pushed back in, or other means of replacement were done. So what is the deal with it coming out a bit, and going back in on it's own? Any advice is useful.

I am so upset!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
That's awful! Thank goodness he has you now!

I don't have any experience with prolapse, but I've heard that it can require surgery. It doesn't sound like it's too bad compared to what it could be. He might be constipated too. Maybe feeding him food with a lot of water (mash, fruits, veggies) until the vet would at least help relieve some pressure for now.

I would be absolutely livid! I hope you didn't pay much for him, since you will probably have a significant vet bill. I would probably call the previous owner and give them a piece of my mind after the vet visit, but that's just me. I wish you two the best!

OP
DawL

DawL

Dec 20, 2011
Hickory, NC
Parrots
That's awful! Thank goodness he has you now!

I don't have any experience with prolapse, but I've heard that it can require surgery. It doesn't sound like it's too bad compared to what it could be. He might be constipated too. Maybe feeding him food with a lot of water (mash, fruits, veggies) until the vet would at least help relieve some pressure for now.

I would be absolutely livid! I hope you didn't pay much for him, since you will probably have a significant vet bill. I would probably call the previous owner and give them a piece of my mind after the vet visit, but that's just me. I wish you two the best!

Yeah, I already emailed them. I am so upset about this. The only good thing I have to say about this is that Barnaby was a rescue, so I paid nothing for him, they said they realize they have no idea how to care for him, and they wanted him to go to someone that can, and will care for him properly. But even if you dont know much about Too care, I would imagine you would have to be a complete idiot to see a freaking PROLAPSE and not know that your bird needed to go to the vet!

Thats okay though, because Barnaby is with me now, and I will spoil him every single day. I feel like he was meant to find me, and I am so thankful. I will do WHATEVER I have to do to get this baby healthy. It is going to be a LONG road, but I am willing to travel it. I consider Dec. 22nd to be Barnaby's new birthday. The birth of his new life...the one he should have had in the first place.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
He's lucky to have you... Many people don't know the most basics of healthcare...

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Oooooooo, I'm quite partial to Fruity Pebbles myself and so is Mac & Tiki. I hope everything turns out for the best here for you and your new feathered friend. But I vet visit is in order for sure.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I sure hope everything works out ok for Barnaby!

I recently adopted an amazon who was in too small of a cage to even fit a toy. It's smaller than the cages I used for my conures. It took him a couple of weeks but he is playing with the toys I gave him now. Despite all that he does seem to be a very happy and loving bird. I can only guess he didn't spend much time in his cage. I'm also converting him to pellets and he is eating them now. He does like good human foods so that's my guess how he survived this long with a seed diet. He must have gotten a lot of supplements.

Thank you for taking Barnaby and giving him a better life!

OP
DawL

DawL

Dec 20, 2011
Hickory, NC
Parrots
Oooooooo, I'm quite partial to Fruity Pebbles myself and so is Mac & Tiki. I hope everything turns out for the best here for you and your new feathered friend. But I vet visit is in order for sure.

Yes, I agree, they would be okay as a treat, but he was being fed cockatiel seed and fruity pebbles as his main food source :(. I am working now to get him onto a good pelleted diet, and trying to get him to eat fruits and veggies, which they also NEVER fed him. It is going to be a long road.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Please do make sure it is a boy! Usually when that happens, it's from egg laying, it needs to be pushed back in. Once it's happened once, they should never lay another egg, it can be potentially fatal!

OP
DawL

DawL

Dec 20, 2011
Hickory, NC
Parrots
Please do make sure it is a boy! Usually when that happens, it's from egg laying, it needs to be pushed back in. Once it's happened once, they should never lay another egg, it can be potentially fatal!

I agree. I am having the vet do a fecal, and a full blood work up on him to make sure there is nothing going on there. Pretty much, he will have every test done possible,, and I can also make sure he is definitely a he.

He already has a vet appointment, so hopefully I will get some good news. Thanks for the advice.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
How terrible....anxious to know how it turns out.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
poor bugger, lucky he has you now!

Most Reactions

Latest posts