Basic Care for a Parrotlet

Purevil21

Jul 21, 2011
So I have decided a pacific parrotlet is the bird for me. I have researched their behavior and diet pretty well, but this is my first bird so I would like some advice from people with experience.

First, what size cage would you recommend as a minimum. I found one I like that is 18"x18"x5' and is recommended for love birds/budgies/small parrots, but if that is too small I'm not going to get it.

Second, what would you guys consider must have toys. So far I'm planning on branches, a swing, bells, but I don't have any clue what is best to give them to play with.

Third, I know this is a highly debated topic, but clipping. I know it is often not recommended. However, several articles I have read say that parrotlets are an exception to that and should be. I don't like taking things I read online as fact, so once again anyone with some real world experience would be appreciated.

I know the food and water have to be high in the cage so waste doesn't contaminate it. I am in the process of finding an avian veterinarian now before I go find a bird. I am planning on feeding a mix of seed, veggies, and fruits. I have been told news paper is suitable substrate for the cage. Please just let me know if I am going about any of this the wrong way. Thanks for the input in advance!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
It sounds like you're on the right track so far. Are you sure those dimensions you posted are right? 18''x18''x5'? That seems like it would be a very tall, narrow cage, do you have a picture of it?
As far as toys go, you want to have things that can be shredded, things of different materials and colors, any toy that is marketed for a budgie, lovebird or 'tiel should be suitable for a parrotlet, just use your best judgement when it comes to safety, I have seen some small bird toys with small parts that can break of and that always worried me.
As far as perches go, you want to make sure you have perches that are different sizes and materials to exercise their feet.
Wing clipping is entirely up to you, I have pretty much always clipped my birds for training and bonding purposes and then decided whether to continue trimming or not on an individual basis. It is possible to train a flighted bird it is just going to be a slower process(generally) and you have to make sure that everyone in your house understands that they cannot leave doors or windows open, toilet lid must stay down, no hot water left in the sink, etc. Also keep in mind other household pets, it only takes a second for a cat or dog to grab a bird out of the air.
Very good thinking finding a vet first, an emergency situation is a bad time to try and find an avian vet! You seem like you are doing a great job preparing yourself! Good luck!

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
This is how I do:
I wingtrim so that Polly can flye about 8 meter in downgoing direction. Do to children in the household doors an windows is not always cloced, that why I wingtrim

Most Reactions

Latest posts