Bath for my parrotlet.

JoSweetDreams

Nov 13, 2012
County Durham, England.
Parrots
A Parrotlet called Bobby.
Hiya, I've just acquired a parrotlet. He has one of those baths that you attach to the door of his cage. Is this the best type to use? If not, what is the most recommended? And how long should I leave it there for? (His previous owner told me he seems to just drink out of the bath instead of actually having a bath.)

Jo
x

Dharmawaits

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
The great Peapod a Parrotlet
Its not going to hurt him. They take baths in their water dish (my girls preference) or in attached baths and when he is bonded to you, you might try the shower. A lot of parrots take baths with their parronts. You can also use a mister if you wanted just don't aim it directly at him but spray it so it would fall down gently on him. I tried that with Peapod and she hated it but your guy may be different.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Jo, Has he ever been seen or known to take a bath at all? I can always tell by the wet paper (and everything else in a 2 foot radius of Pritti's water bowl, which is the only place he'll ever bathe unless I give him a shower in bathroom).

You could see if he'll take a bath in it. If so, remove it as soon as you can from when he is finishes. Put it in a different spot than it has been in. Splash your fingers around in it, make some fun noise and see if you can get him interested in doing the same thing. You could also just remove it now and put a sufficient dish in the bottom of the cage for him to bathe from -- like a pan with a half inch water and see if he'll stand in it. Or a heavy bowl where he can stand on rim without it tipping over. You can even put one in each corner and see which he might like to use. Just be sure they aren't filled too high 'cause he's a little guy.

OP
J

JoSweetDreams

Nov 13, 2012
County Durham, England.
Parrots
A Parrotlet called Bobby.
Thanks for the replies :) I dont' think he has ever had a bath in it. I know his previous owner tried the spray option and he nearly had a heart attack! Bless him. I think I'll get a little bowl and put in the bottom of his cage and see what happens.

Most Reactions

Latest posts