Bathing question?

Rehv

Nov 23, 2011
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw,
Green Quaker,
Congo African Grey
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just had a question and would like some suggestions from others. My CAG is about 15 years old. He's very sweet and you can handle him but he absolutely freaks out when it comes to showers/misting or any kind of water spray. Surprisingly, if you put a bowl of water at the bottom of his cage, he'll bathe himself but only when you start the vaccuum?! I find that strange? lol. Is there any suggestions on how I would go about trying to get him desensitized to spray or a shower? It can be a mess but if the bowl is the way he likes it, I'll keep it up. Just wanted other people's thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance!

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Someone at our bird meeting was just talking about this last Sunday...it was thought that the vibrations of the vacuum has something to do with it, What if you were to mist while he is bathing in the water bowl, or offer him a bath in the sink?

OP
R

Rehv

Nov 23, 2011
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw,
Green Quaker,
Congo African Grey
I guess its not as uncommon as I thought. I don't want to overly stress him. He has been use to doing the bowl thing with the vacuum on for a very long time. I don't guess its really hurting anything so I will just let him do what makes him happy instead of trying to do something that will stress him out. He really hates spraying. As long as he's happy and healthy, I'm happy!

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I guess its not as uncommon as I thought. I don't want to overly stress him. He has been use to doing the bowl thing with the vacuum on for a very long time. I don't guess its really hurting anything so I will just let him do what makes him happy instead of trying to do something that will stress him out. He really hates spraying. As long as he's happy and healthy, I'm happy!

Sound like a good idea. CAG almost fear everything new but of cause if you spend a lot of time in the showe, first without water, when comfteble with that turn on the shower but no water on him, when confteble witht that just use your hand and let some water coming at him....It takes a lot of time so if you think that is not important the let it be as it is, no harm as long as he get a bath.

Most Reactions