Bathing

obes22

Jul 31, 2011
Cape Cod MA
Parrots
Gold Cap Conure
Any advice on bird baths. How often should they use one. Are there any that are recommended and how do you get your bird to want to take a bath. It seems like he has no interest.

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Loco decides when he baths. He's usually with me when I wash the dishes and he'll want to jump in the sink so I run him a warm clean bath in the second sink while I wash. This usually happens 1-3 times a week but its up to him. I also take him in the shower on weekends. He sits up on my towel and will flap his wings if he wants to come down on the floor of the shower and bath. Sometime he just likes to drink the warm water. Sometimes he doesn't come down at all.

He never really baths in his cage, I've seen him do it once is summer (it's winter here now). I find splashing around in the sink and shower interests him and then he wants to investigate. Give it a try! :)

Winston1Smith2

Mar 19, 2010
I have a perch in my shower for Cracker. Sometimes he will just sit on the perch chirping away, happy as a clam. Other times he will be more adventurous, and get under the shower with me. I let him decide what he wants to do.

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Winston1Smith2 - Do you find your bird is very vocal in the shower? Loco goes crazy!! he signs and screams at the top of his birdie lungs.

Winston1Smith2

Mar 19, 2010
Usually Cracker is a very quiet bird. Yes, I used the word quiet in connection with a bird from the Conure family. In the shower, however, he does become very vocal. Even in this case, however, I would not describe it as screaming and it is rather fun to listen to. Sort of like singing in the shower.

kobe629

Jul 25, 2011
Parrots
Monte - Queen of Bavaria
Willow - Blue and Gold Macaw
I try to mist my bird everyday with this misting product that you pump that I got from the bird store..I tried to bath her in the sink but she didn't like it..

Levon83

Aug 19, 2011
Cumberland, MD
Parrots
Sun Conure
I've put Sunny in the kitchen sink, and just sprayed her with hose. She doesn't seem to mind it too much. I'm gonna get her a perch though, so I have both hands free.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck seems to REALLY want a bath when he's in the sun a lot of the time.

I usually take him in the shower with me. I have a Puck-proof necklace (or my "parrot necklace" that's just rope) and put him on my shoulder. He holds on, and lets me put him under the water. He doesn't seem like he wants it, but he doesn't seem to mind either. If I'm washing my hair that day, I'll put him on the shower head so he doesn't get shampood.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Also, he likes to do his "jungle calls" whenever there is water running... in the shower (unless he's directly under the stream), and while I'm doing dishes!

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
oh haha, I bring my baby in the shower a few times a week but if she wants a bath I know it cause i'm on my computer and I start feeling water hit me. Sure enough she's decided it's time for a bath in her water dish. :)

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
I give Luna a bath everyday.

She really enjoys it.

Also, it seems to calm her down after her post-breakfast energy spurt.

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
My lil Rio bathes probably about 3 times a day! (I think he was a fish in his past life! :p) He bathes himself in his water dish especially when it has ice cold water in it, he goes to the shower with me sometimes and just gets the splash and almost seems to fall asleep. And most days I put him on a big tupperware bowl lid with the water from the sink running in it and he bathes in that and bites the stream of water. Its really cute! I hope that its ok for him to bathe this much...but there is not much I can do about it as he will dunk himself in his water dish (even the teenie tiny water dish on his playstand also!)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Riio- How cute!! When Puck decides to bathe on his own, it's usually in a teeny dish in his travel cage. I usually end up pouring bottled water on him or breaking out the spray bottle because he knocks his dish off, and is still soooo silly about it!

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Remy- Isnt it funny when they do things like that? He cracks me up because the dish it SO little on his playstand, if he starts to bathe in it I will usually take him to the sink on his lid, but there are times he wont bathe in that and as soon as he goes back onto his playstand he will resume his bath in the microscopic dish!
His dishes on his play stand have little "stems" on the bottom of them that just sit in a hole, he will knock his off too, soo..I take a napkin or paper towel and fold it in half (for thickness) and push that down into the hole with the "stem" and that holds his dishes in tighter so he cant knock them off, plus he loves shredding the paper that is hanging out around the dish.

Most Reactions

Latest posts