Bird bath

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023
Hi. My bird Bandit (conure) loves to take bath and I’m wondering how can keep him warm after he finished taking bath. I tried cover him with small soft towel. He won’t let me. Any ideas ? Summer is almost over and I’m wondering how I keep it warm after the bath time. He is almost 8 months old. I got him on Aug 9 from petsmart.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi. My bird Bandit (conure) loves to take bath and I’m wondering how can keep him warm after he finished taking bath. I tried cover him with small soft towel. He won’t let me. Any ideas ? Summer is almost over and I’m wondering how I keep it warm after the bath time. He is almost 8 months old. I got him on Aug 9 from petsmart.
When it's cool in the room and Rocky is soaking wet after a bathing in a drinking fountain designed for cats I put my blow-dryer on low speed warm heat (not hot) and gently, from a distance of about two feet, direct the warm air toward her as she sits on top of her cage. She's free to move aside if she doesn't like it but she seems to enjoy the warm breeze and it helps dry her feathers so she doesn't get chilled.
If your conure doesn't like the blow dryer and you can fit his cage or a small travel carrier in the bathroom (or a closet with a light) and you have a small portable heater (or an overhead built in fan/heater in the bathroom), put him in the cage and heat the bathroom up to a nice warm temperature as his feathers dry. My bird vet always recommends keeping any sick bird in a warm room about 85 degrees but I can't heat an entire room that hot so he recommended using a plant grow tent so I bought one that's five feet high by three feet wide by two feet deep that I use as a birdie hospital room. I put a small hospital cage on a stand inside and a small electric space heater under the cage and heat the air inside to about 85 degrees. This grow tent has clear plastic windows windows, so I can keep an eye on the occupant. This was an excellent investment for me because I have seven budgies and occasionally someone gets sick and needs to be kept warm and it works great to keep a soggy wet bird warm as his feathers dry.
The heater I use is bird safe (no Teflon type materials) and it's never put on high heat.

OP
L

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023
When it's cool in the room and Rocky is soaking wet after a bathing in a drinking fountain designed for cats I put my blow-dryer on low speed warm heat (not hot) and gently, from a distance of about two feet, direct the warm air toward her as she sits on top of her cage. She's free to move aside if she doesn't like it but she seems to enjoy the warm breeze and it helps dry her feathers so she doesn't get chilled.
If your conure doesn't like the blow dryer and you can fit his cage or a small travel carrier in the bathroom (or a closet with a light) and you have a small portable heater (or an overhead built in fan/heater in the bathroom), put him in the cage and heat the bathroom up to a nice warm temperature as his feathers dry. My bird vet always recommends keeping any sick bird in a warm room about 85 degrees but I can't heat an entire room that hot so he recommended using a plant grow tent so I bought one that's five feet high by three feet wide by two feet deep that I use as a birdie hospital room. I put a small hospital cage on a stand inside and a small electric space heater under the cage and heat the air inside to about 85 degrees. This grow tent has clear plastic windows windows, so I can keep an eye on the occupant. This was an excellent investment for me because I have seven budgies and occasionally someone gets sick and needs to be kept warm and it works great to keep a soggy wet bird warm as his feathers dry.
The heater I use is bird safe (no Teflon type materials) and it's never put on high heat.
Thanks so much.

Most Reactions

Latest posts