Be careful even with stated non toxic plants-my birds died because of Hoya

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
Hello All,
would like to share my worst experience to warn others- my 2 beloved linnies died due to chewing a Hoya plant- which acc.to many sources marked as non toxic...I do not know why they got interested in that plant suddenly, never touched before but 2 days ago they chewed it ans seems not only chewed but eat some of it. Within an hour one of them started vomiting and showed symptoms of heavy poisoning. ( Unfortunately it was middle of the night and no avian vet in my area. We got some suggestion what to do but we lost them.).
So please be always careful.
Picture for memory my silly little angels now😭
20220604_183853.jpg

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello All,
would like to share my worst experience to warn others- my 2 beloved linnies died due to chewing a Hoya plant- which acc.to many sources marked as non toxic...I do not know why they got interested in that plant suddenly, never touched before but 2 days ago they chewed it ans seems not only chewed but eat some of it. Within an hour one of them started vomiting and showed symptoms of heavy poisoning. ( Unfortunately it was middle of the night and no avian vet in my area. We got some suggestion what to do but we lost them.).
So please be always careful.
Picture for memory my silly little angels now😭View attachment 50226
OMG! HOW TRAGIC! 😭

OP
widor

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
just addition to the post, this plant is hoya carnosa , and picture how much they chewed. Also the stem was chewed- no was not sprayed-or at least not by me, got it more than half a year ago
IMG_20230510_161742268_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230510_161726310_HDR.jpg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
How awful for you :( I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful little ones! What gorgeous birds ❤️

Thank you for sharing though, this is very helpful.

Most Reactions