Beans

Ivorbasic

Jul 28, 2020
Zagreb, Croatia
Parrots
Eclectus
I have bird tricks cookbook and in chop recipe it says I need 2 cups of cooked mixed beans. Here in Croatia we don't have mixes of beans so I want to know what types go in that mix. And I also want to know do I need to cook canned beans? Thanks!

KitKatPlus

Sep 19, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Parrots
Caesar the tiel (foster)
Birdtricks does the 16 bean mix usually. Any beans you can buy raw are fine for birds once cooked thoroughly. Common choices in the mixes are pinto, kidney, lentils, black, types of peas, etc.

I would opt for buying fresh beans if possible, but if canned beans is your only option then that's okay :) If the beans are already soft and ready for a person to eat out of the can, then you don't have to cook them again!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
FYI most canned beans and other foods are LOADED with sodium so not great to feed to birds very often.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Be VERY careful with beans in mixes!!!! The contain lectins (pinto, kidney, navy= not safe even when cooked)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Be VERY careful with beans in mixes!!!! The contain lectins (pinto, kidney, navy= not safe even when cooked)

Lectins are virtually destroyed during the cooking process. When cooked all beans are perfectly safe.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Lectins are virtually destroyed during the cooking process. When cooked all beans are perfectly safe.

Some beans are less safe for birds because they continue to contain higher levels even after cooking. If you can pressure cook the crap out of them, then you are looking at better results, but slow cookers etc never get hot enough to destroy them, and even boiling doesn't eliminate them in high lectin beans 100%. You have to soak etc, any many people just drop them in a pot (which doesn't take care of them).
Kidney, navy, pinto, lima, fava, wax, jack, string and field beans all contain lectins. Cooking destroys some, but not all, lectins.
If a bean is old or "tough" and you try to cook it- no matter how long you boil, it will not become totally soft (and it also will not be fully cooked). It's hard to tell a bean that is old from a bean that is new (in dry form)...so it isn't worth the risk in my opinion --not for kidney beans etc anyway (I stick with the lower lectin beans if cooking for my bird---a human can die from eating undercooked kidney beans if they eat enough) I once ate 1/4 cup of undercooked kidney beans in chili (at a forced potluck) to be polite at a work function and the result was HORRIFYING... According to studies, it could have killed me or hospitalized me, but I have the stomach of a goat. It was a painful and very explosive experience lol. I actually was really lucky...Oh the cramps...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts