Bedtime panic attack.

nikket3000

Apr 5, 2012
Parrots
Goo the blue fronted amazon and Pepper Lou the crimson bellied conure
Hi everyone

I have had my crimson bellied conure for three nights now. I knew from my research that conures protest a bit when the lights go off but tonight was different. My little one completely had a breakdown squawking and flapping around. I tried to let her go but I could definetly tell she was in distress mode and not just protesting bedtime. I got her to calm down and she finally started dozing off on my tummy doing that cute beak grinding thing. I got her back into her cage and she is fine now sleeping. Just curious if I should let her flip out next time and ignore her or comfort her again. I really don't want to start bad habits by babying her too much but she was really having a terrible time and I didnt want her to hurt herself flapping her wings like that flailing all over her cage.

Thanks for any advice in advance:63:

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Do you have a nightlight? I keep a computer monitor on to add some light to the room so its not completely dark.

OP
nikket3000

nikket3000

Apr 5, 2012
Parrots
Goo the blue fronted amazon and Pepper Lou the crimson bellied conure
Do you have a nightlight? I keep a computer monitor on to add some light to the room so its not completely dark.

I could not find my nightlight but I left the stove light on in the kitchen and left part of her cage cover open. I will look for it tomorrow or buy another.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Mine do the same thing if I turn the lights off before they know I'm in the room, like if they are already in the box and I just turn the lights off without them seeing me do it they will flip out. But if they see me do it and I say "it's ok, go to sleep" they are fine.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Like others have suggested, something so it's not totally dark, especially since she's in a strange new place. Jasper protests going to bed but Tico will go in his cage all on his own and curl up in his snuggie thing when he's ready.
wulfgeist-albums-my-pals-picture3893-sleepin.jpg

Most Reactions