WOAH... had a heart attack

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
So I've always loved, loved, loved java tree stands. I just couldn't justify the price. At least, not until my new job came along.

So set on getting one, and having accepted that shipping might not be cheap, I checked out the java stands on mysafebirdstore.com. I wasn't expecting a good deal but...

WOAH NOW. $1350.77!!!!!! I may or not be in a state of shock. That's $900 for shipping. I get it, I live in another country (Canada) and it's a tree... but... ho boy.

I'm in sticker shock. I love you Pixel, but that ain't happenin'.

So I was wondering if anyone around here (my fellow Canucks especially) might know of, I dunno... a way I can find a java tree that is NOT over a grand, I'd be incredibly grateful.

Last edited:

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Holy wow..I guess the free shipping doesn't apply to that, huh? I recently ordered a java table stand from there as they have been like half price for a while. Is it because the tree is so big or because you live in Canada? That's a shame because that is a great site and she does have killer deals.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
Do you have a friend or relative in the US, close to the border where they can ship the stand to, and then pick it up yourself from there?

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Halfinsane, where in BC are you? I'm in Seattle, WA, about 3 hours from the border. Just putting that out there...

OP
HalfInsane

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Halfinsane, where in BC are you? I'm in Seattle, WA, about 3 hours from the border. Just putting that out there...

That's very generous of you, thanks. Unfortunately I'm 11 hours from the boarder; quite the road trip. No relatives to speak of in the US either. Hmmm.... darn. I will figure this out lol. Darn you Americans and your awesome online shopping.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
There is a bird store "Denise's Parrot Place" Denise's Parrot Place: 206-232-8115, Mercer Island, WA, USA just north of Seattle (Mercer Island) that often has the full size tree stands made of Manzanita for about $250.00. If my place was not crowded with bird stuff already then I would have bought one! If you don't mind the drive that would be a great road trip and you could save a heck of a lot of money.

Sorry, I just saw your post that you are 11 hours from the border.

Last edited:
OP
HalfInsane

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Well I should start banking holiday hours at work soon. If I ever do happen to head down to the border, I'll give you a shout. :)

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Holy cow!

If you take Tracy's advice, even with the gas prices as they are, you'll save a TON of money AND get your Java Tree AND have an amazing road trip to boot! And I'm also willing to bet that some local in the store area would be willing to let you stay the night at no cost, just to meet a forum member...if for no other reason ;)

:D

Good Luck to you! That's seriously rediculous shipping...

Toni

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
I have always been surprised by the cost when I needed to send even small packages to Canada - makes those of us in the States realize how reasonable our postage costs are!

OP
HalfInsane

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Are your kidneys in good shape? You could always trade one in for a java tree stand!

You know, I actually happen to have a wonderful set of kidneys. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find my do it yourself surgeon's kit. Darn. Seems I just have all the bad luck.

OP
HalfInsane

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Oh perfect! Thanks so much. I'll have to get ahold of them some time in the next while.

At first when I read "Here's a link to a place in BC that sells them" I thought you were joking about me selling my kidneys like Lexx510 suggested. But I like this option better :p

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Send the owner, Kathie, an email. She may be able to help you figure out a different way to get it there for less money.

Most Reactions

Latest posts