Beginner need a lot of advice and help!!!

Goose

May 29, 2015
New York
Ok so I want to get a parrot and I'm not sure what kind fits me best. I am a full time college student and am working as well. I live with my mother in the upstairs of I high ranch more family living downstairs. I have a minimum of an hour a day to hang out with my bird. I do have allergies but I do not know if I'm allergic to bird dust so as little dust would be best. I do not mind some mess I have kept many reptiles before actually breeding snakes and lizards so I'm no stranger to having pets. I just want something more interactive.I don't mind to much noise neither does my family just would like to keep screaming to minimum. My issue is I do have dogs in my house so I would like to keep my bird exclusively in my bedroom. It is where I spend most of my time doing hw or other activities. Will a bird be ok spending most of its time in one room if I'm in the room and It has a lot of toys? What would be the best type of bird for me. From what I heard it isn't good to get a bird you deem as a starter bird to just later turn them in. So far I have my heart set on an amazon double yellow head or a Senegal. I'm also going to be moving out of my house to my own place within the next two years. And how worried to I need to be with Teflon if the bird is in my room with a closed door I know I need to worry about the kitchen downstairs and will be replacing my mothers pans that she has as Teflon. I'm just worried about my other family downstairs in their kitchen witchnis also on the other side of the house. Will that be an issue as well. Any advice is much appreciated thanks!!

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
An hour a day is quite a small amount of time for a bird - more so if the bird is kept somewhere where there isn't a flow of people at least to observe and chatter to. I try to give mine an average of six hours a day out of cage time, although much of that is just hanging out in the same room rather than constant interaction. Bedrooms are ok if you're in there a lot but typically the bird will do best in an area with more people. An hour of dedicated time plus several hours where the bird is around people and gets talked to even in passing is very different to being alone in a bedroom most of the day.

Different birds have very different noise levels, and there's a lot of variation between birds of the same species. Be sure to ask actual owners and don't rely on online comparison charts to get a guage on the likely noise levels of a species you're interested in.

The issue with Teflon is when it's overheated. To be on the safe side replacing your plans with stainless steel is a good idea and I actually really like stainless steel to cook and clean.

Remember most species live a long time - so you'd need to be confident that your life plans weren't likely to change dramatically before committing. I ended up waiting until I was in my 30s before getting my bird for that reason.

Last edited:
OP
G

Goose

May 29, 2015
New York
Yea that is more what I was getting at I would have the bird out more than an hour basically the entire time I'm home. Probably get about a minimum of an hour a day of direct interaction. The door closed is just a precaution to keep it away from my dogs. My girlfriend also stays with me roughly 3 days a week plus my mother loves birds and will go in there and play and talk. Like I said its just to keep dogs away even though they have their own room too its better to be safe. As for my life plans I would be going to grad school and renting my own house with my girlfriend so there won't be much change as far as living arrangements.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Out of the two you have yourself set on, I think a Senegal would be a better fit. Though, sennies would need plenty of time ( more than an hour ) outside and, IMO, loads of socialization. Because they are prone to becoming a one-person bird, it's important to get them trained to love/tolerate people. They also go through a big nippy stage, so that's why it's important they have a lot of outside/training time --- to curve the behavior.

From what I heard it isn't good to get a bird you deem as a starter bird to just later turn them in. !
Honestly, that statement makes me pretty mad (not because of you)
I wouldn't say that you shouldn't get a "starter" bird, because there really is none to begin with. The three most widely known ones, Budgies/lovebirds/cockatiels are deemed as "starters" because of how easily found they are. And because of their price, people don't see them as valuable as a 500 dollar bird (for example).
IMO, they can present challenges as tough as the larger parrots and require near the same price and time as well.

Anyways, there are lots of owners of DYHA and Sennies that can provide you personal experiences to help with your decision. Are there any other species that you're thinking of/considering?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think, with how you describe your situation, you should hold off getting a parrot at the moment. You just don't sound ready (in school, have predators i.e. the dogs, may be allergic, don't want to get rid of the teflon, only an hour of 1 on 1 attention to give a day). If you want a bird like the ones you see on here (loving, well trained, very social ext...) who will be a lifelong companion, you can't be gone all day at school with the need to study at night and have a social life. You'll also need the time to learn to cook with stainless, cast iron or other cookware that is NOT TEFLON. You cannot use teflon around birds, period. Not with the door closed, not with the bird upstairs and the kitchen downstairs, not at all. It shouldn't even be in the house in case someone unknowingly uses it. Very very deadly to birds. And while I know many do, I personally think predators (i.e. dogs and cats) should never be in the same home with prey (birds). It's always a huge safety risk as a dog or cat is still an animal, no matter how well trained it may be or how careful you think you are keeping them away from the bird.

Parrots are much like having children, they require so much time, attention and require you to make sacrifices in your life to keep them happy (any size, from budgies to the largest macaws). What I would suggest, is to look into volunteering at a local avian shelter. You can gain experience without the major commitment. You'll also find out if you have allergies.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Buy ceramic. Then you don't have to worry about Teflon. The danger of teflon is very real. If the pan gets too hot, it creates an oderless and colorless gas, that causes their air sacs to rupture and fill with blood, and they essentially drown in their own blood. It's pretty instantly 100% fatal. You don't even realize your pan is too hot until the bird suddenly keels over dead...

And I would happen to agree. I would get yourself situated and in a stable situation first. Then get your bird. Sounds like you have enough going on in your life, without adding bird chores to it.

Last edited:

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
I personally think predators (i.e. dogs and cats) should never be in the same home with prey (birds). It's always a huge safety risk as a dog or cat is still an animal, no matter how well trained it may be or how careful you think you are keeping them away from the bird.

I will respectfully disagree. I live in a house with 3 small dogs and I have no problems. The dogs are never allowed in my room. It does help that the main door toy room is broken and blocked. The only access is thru my bathroom. This means I have 2 doors for protection.

I do take my tiel out sometimes because he is tame and bonded. I watch very carefully. The dogs aren't interested.

One way to have semi direct attention with your bird while you are studying is it let it sit with you.

I am allergic to my birds dander but its mild. I got an air purifier and it helps a great deal.

Will anyone in your family also spend time with the bird? My mom does but my kids are scaredof them

OP
G

Goose

May 29, 2015
New York
My digs have no interest in my other pets my great Dane is an extremely gentle older dog who won't even go outside it there is a squirrel in the yard. And my house is actually a very high traffic house my grandmother is downstairs so I have aunts and uncles and cousins coming through my house about three times a week plus my girlfriend and my mother so it wouldn't be ignored at all. And I meant at least an hour of direct training and play a day then I would keep him on my desk or shoulder while I study etc. I'm home at least 6 hours a day that doesn't include my mother girlfriend or any one else. I'm open to other species which is why I was asking. Are there any other species that fit my lifestyle better?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. That's an individual case by case socialization thing.

If the dogs are aggressive around the birds, then it's a real no-no.

If they are socialized together, then it's usually not an issue.

The CATS in our household lived in fear of the birds, not the other way around...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My proverbial two cents contribution concern your Great Dane. I have had about 7 Danes of varied coloration since living with birds. They have proven without exception to be wonderful cohabitants. A caveat, of course is I'd never leave them together unsupervised. Ever! The Danes seem to accept them as family and haven't exhibited any trace of jealousy or malevolent interest.

Danes are wonderful canines and the subject of much, oh let's charitably say "absence of knowledge." They don't eat a lot per unit of body weight, can exist in relatively small homes provided they are given outside exercise, and are generally not aggressive. They are excellent watchdogs with a commanding bark. Only significant flaw is a sadly short lifespan.... though I had one live to just over 11 years, and my current Mantle/Harlequin cross is a bit over 8 and going strong. Every one has been a rescue of sorts, and yes, you can find pure-bread Danes in local animal shelters.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
If they are socialized together, then it's usually not an issue.

I have told the story before and will tell it again- My grandma at one point had a pet crow, Bubbles, who was best friends with the family dog. The crow and dog absolutely adored each other, and the dog never would have intentionally harmed the crow. Sadly, one day the dog accidentally hit the crow with it's paw (in full view of a living room of people), snapping it's neck and killing Bubbles instantly. Aggressive dogs aren't the ONLY consideration. If my MIL's super-friendly and relatively obedient dogs are anything to go off, those dogs will catch flying birds right out of the air. One gulp, a puff of feathers and a small bird is gone. They do it all the time. Anything smaller than a big mac would be toast. It would only take one slip up of having the bird out when the dog was out or turning your back for a split second. As I said, I know plenty of people do it, but I would personally never have a dog or cat, nor would I ever recommend someone else do it either (even though others may decide that's a risk they are willing to take).

shanwebb

Apr 19, 2015
Before you get anything figure out if you're allergic to bird dust. Spend a lot of time in bird stores, aviaries, with friend's /family who own birds... no sense in getting one if you are. Assuming you're not allergic, I always recommend cockatiels. They're awesome, and not just as a "starter" bird. Yes they are lower maintenance because they are smaller birds, but they can have HUGE personalities, are smart,can be funny, sweet, talkative and are beautiful too. But keep in mind that any bird is a high maintenance pet, and if you are out or busy for a good part of the day, you'll want your bird to have company, so definitely keep in the family/or living room. You could put a stand in your bedroom when you're home.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
If dust is ever a concern I'd recommend a new world bird. I do agree that you should go out and spend some time in bird rescues/shops that sell birds/any friends or family with birds, you need a grasp on the commitment you're getting into.
And a heads up, if you're not gunna be around as much as you think, get a larger cage that you're thinking of now.
Can you provide that? Cages aren't cheap.
What will you feed him? Seed, pellets or fresh food? If you go fresh or even part fresh diet then you'll need to dedicate a day every now and then to preparing it.
Got a good vet? Could they recognise the bird's species? What will you do if there's not a dedicated avian vet within an hours drive? Do you have a way to travel?

There's more I could add but I think I've wrote enough, there's alot to think about and your here to find out. It's not to discourage you, but there's a real time commitment, and you already have alot right now. I think it would be a good idea to wait till you've moved in with your girlfriend, but it is your choice and what you want is possible.
When you can answer all these questions and more then you'll be in better sted to think about really getting a bird, you'll find most of the answers on this forum.

OP
G

Goose

May 29, 2015
New York
I can answer those questions though I used to spend hours just feeding all my pythons and geckos. I can fit a large cage in my room and money isn't an issue for me. And I wld do both seed and fresh and my reptile vet is an all exotic vet and is aviary certified and I have several cars.

Most Reactions

Latest posts