Behaviours

Kiwi_Collins

May 30, 2020
Kingston upon Thames
Parrots
Kiwi (Red fronted kakariki) & Collins (pied cockatiel)
Hello all, hope youā€™re well.
As some of you may have noticed, Iā€™m new to this forum as much as my cockatiel is new to my household.
His name is Collins and heā€™s been with us since Friday. Heā€™s 12 w/o.
I already have a Kakariki whose name is Kiwi, sheā€™s been with me for about two months and sheā€™s 6m/o.

Since I brought Collins home there were a bit of mixed feelings. Kiwi has been curious at times, unimpressed during others :47:
One thing I noted straight away was that she decided to jump on Collins cage and started grinding her beak.
On another day, I opened Collins cage for him to fly out (he didnā€™t, I guess too scared) and she was hyper. She was singing, flying and running on the floor whilst getting closer to him.
On a daily basis, she wants to get into his cage and share his food (heā€™s only obsessed with millet for the moment, but Iā€™m trying to give him something else as well) - he lets her with no issues.

Sometimes I move Collins cage to another room as when he sees me, he shakes, so I reckoned itā€™d be better for me to stay away from him.
Kiwi loves to fly on top of his cage and stare at him, and then fall asleep alongside him.
Iā€™ve attached some pics as they may help. Is this a good sign?
Would you say itā€™s ok for them to have some together time in his cage?
Do you have any advice that Iā€™m sure will be of great help?
:confused:
Please note, on One pic it looks like Kiwi is being aggressive, however that was taken at the exact moment I showed her some pomegranate :D

Attachments

• 7AA64D5E-2FB8-4042-B590-A5D64897061C.jpeg
    7AA64D5E-2FB8-4042-B590-A5D64897061C.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 62
  • ADD4C000-D33C-4BED-80FC-2A7D36E1672E.jpeg
    ADD4C000-D33C-4BED-80FC-2A7D36E1672E.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 50656348-6D5A-49CF-BE03-CEDD443EB08B.jpeg
    50656348-6D5A-49CF-BE03-CEDD443EB08B.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 62

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I've always found cockatiels are just about the best flatmates you can have for another species of a similar size. Fang has been "big brother" to a green cheek conure, a budgie and an insane lorikeet during his life and he has always found a way to adjust to the varying personalities. It should be fine for them to come and go in each other's cages during the day provided they're supervised. I'm not at all familiar with the kākāriki personality but from what you describe, Kiwi does seem to be the more outgoing while Collins is a bit more reserved. But Collins is still only a baby so i would just make sure Kiwi doesn't push him around too much during the settling in stage.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts