Being picked by a bird

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
I kinda thought I knew what that meant till I brought home my first cockatiel, every time I went to the store it would come to the side of the cage I was on and act like it wanted me, I bring it home and he starts attacking and biting me and my girlfriend, so I took it back to the store complaining of it's aggression and they let me pick out another bird, (I pick out one I know hasn't been weaned long) and I just randomly pick out "Kou Buddy" (Yes, that's the actual name I gave him lol) my cockatiel from the back of the cage, none of them come up to the cage or anything, I get him home and leave him alone for 24 hours and the next day he lets me hold him and is all around super sweet. Guess it was just dumb luck that I picked him out randomly. So how exactly do you tell when you are picked out while trying to pick out a bird? I really want to have that figured out before I get my next bird. Thanks for any help anybody can give.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Birds rarely open up right away and may show signs of aggression. you have to understand that they are afraid and everything is new when they go to a new home. You bringing back that bird because it was "aggressive" is a common and sad mistake many people make. He was acting like a bird who was unsure and afraid and that's normal. I tamed a parent raised untame cockatiel in less than a week with touch training and he was a cuddle bug at the end. It seemed it all worked out though in the end for you though :)

I would assume if a bird chooses you it would get excited to see you and show off, but that doesn't necessarily mean they would want to live with you. My galah shows off and loves my stepdad but he's also the only person she has hormonal aggression with and she bites him hard. Just remember that a bird becomes what you put into them.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When a bird picked you, it's very noticeable!!! You hold out your hand and they will generally step up on you without a fuss. And love you like no tomorrow from day one. But most of my birds didn't pick me as I take them from bad homes or poor conditions. Some did pick me from day one, like Willie my macaw, who step up to my arm within 2 min of being in their house. Malachai my Lory, the owner had to use a glove to grab him cause he bites. I held my hand in front of the entrance. He jumped out, jump on my fingers and climbed up my arm and lay his head on my shoulder while everyone is watching and says he's your bird. Which I knew he was when he did that. My Cockatiel Nico that I took in as a baby while she was malnourished and blood scabs on her all over. I handfed her myself, while she almost died twice and I baby her to full recovery. She's a year old now, flies to me and doesn't leave my side at all ever! But I did handfeed her...lol....But it doesn't mean they will always stay with you either once they wean, but she did. So you'll know when a bird picks you!

OP
C

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
Thank you for the explanation, I'll look for that un my next bird!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I have to say that good socialization is up to the breeder. My breeder heavily socialized my Hahns before I got him after being weaned and he was "normalized" from day one. We've had "getting to know you better" moments to be sure, but no fear or attacking behaviors.

In a multi-bird "goldfish" kind of scenario it is as you noticed, up to the luck of the draw. But when you go with a good breeder it makes all the difference in the world.

OP
C

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
Yeah, the store raises cockatiels but doesn't do a good job of socializing them. Hand feeds them then never messes with them again. You are completely right, a good breeder makes all the difference in the world.

Have you not heard? The bird is the word!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Socialization from the breeder matters, yes absolutely! BUT some times even without proper socialization, they can still pick the one person they want to be with. Willie in his previous home, the owners told me he doesn't like anyone that comes in the house. He will not step up to them and he will try to bite them. She warned me that before I came over to visit. She said IF he picks you, everything is negotiable. After just 2 min being in their house and I walked over to his cage and stick my arm out he came right to me giving me love. The owner's jaws just dropped, my partner came with me to see but Willie will only come to me. I placed him back in his cage and the lady says he picked you and I want you to take him, she was very emotional about getting rid of him as she handfed him herself. She was unable to care for him any longer as her job situation change and they desperately needed her to work as they need the money. But I can see he was well cared for. We drove home talking about him, then we went to the bank and withdraw the money to go back for him. I went in the house once again and he came to me again and allowed me to put him into the carrier. The lady got emotional and had to leave the room. We got home and setup his cage with his toys. He came out of the carrier and climbed up my arms. And he's been my bird ever since as he steps up for me every single day and I even taught him to play dead. It's only during his 10th hatch date when his full hormone hit and that is the only time he's ever mean to me and attack me while he was on my arms, he prefer the dogs during that period as he was in love with one of my huskies. He's been fine this past season and he's back with me as he does not want the dogs anymore. He have his moments but I take it as they come but I love him dearly that I put up with the crazy hormone cycle.

So you see he was not socialized with different people when he picked me. I am still the only person that can hold him other then one vet lady that held him before she trimmed his nails, after that he would have nothing to do with her and screamed the macaw scream at her. I clipped his nails on my own the past two times and he forgives me pretty quick as we go about our normal routine. And we've had him for 9 years now and he still won't tolerate my partner who feeds him and gives him treats on a daily basis. He tries to attack my partner every chance he gets...lol....The only reason my partner tolerates him is because I hold the fort as he is my bird, plus my partner have seen how sweet Willie is while he is with me out of the hormone season...

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
There is a book titled, "The Parrot Who Owns Me". In it she describes her first meetings with an amazon who was very aggressive. And how she eventually won him over by humility and persistence.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
There is a book titled, "The Parrot Who Owns Me". In it she describes her first meetings with an amazon who was very aggressive. And how she eventually won him over by humility and persistence.

I'm gonna have to read that book! Thanks for mentioning that book!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
When I first met Hunter, my now almost 14 year old YN Amazon, she was only 4 weeks old, and still quite wobbly. She had a clutch mate, her brother. I looked at both of them, and as wobbly as she was, she came right over to me to check me out. It was love at first sight, NO kidding! I visited her VERY often, and she's been a joy each and every day. EVERYBODY can handle her and she cuddles with each and every one of us. But that didn't come "naturally". I made sure everyone was handling her at least once a day, and spend time with her. :)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
When we got our Hahn's we still lived next to the breeder and the wife went down there every day to socialize with her. (At the breeder's request) They developed a strong bond for the 1st couple of years but she now seems to prefer me although the wife can still handle her easily. Just goes to show you never really know at first.

Narkissios

Feb 2, 2013
Perth
Parrots
Midnight-B&G Macaw
My b&g macaw did the same as wendys YN,.

We had the choice of three, we pulled them out all together and midnight was the only one to really make any noise, she tried to wobble/hobble over to us even tho she was growling. The other two sat quietly and were un interested.

Two weeks later we got them out again, not knowing which one was midnight, played with them she did the same thing, saw me growled and charged me, i grabbed her beak and growled back, that was the final straw, i gave her a big kiss.

Even over The course of 6 weeks everytime we knew which one midnight was by how she acted. The other two were not interested in me at all, but midnight wanted to play and get to know us, even if she was scared.

Most Reactions