ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Hmm. Taco Bell? That's where I got mine. I walked out with 5 of those things and I didn't even get a drink LOL. (I hate fast food, eww, just my taste buds ;) ) lol I'm away at the moment, birds being watched by my sis for 3 days, still have two days until I get a picture :(

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
I just got home...no joke I didnt see this til now....I went to taco bell haha. But I forgot the cup things!! I'm pregnant...I really wanted to try the new cantina bowl. Chichi will have to wait haha.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I made some of these

532609_10150960408384527_2019178941_n.jpg

I used one of those paper cup carriers, cut it into sections, and strung together. I stuffed the inside with crinkle paper, nutriberries, dry pasta, and banana chips.

That's very cool. Where do you get the crinkle paper from? I was thinking of stuffing Boomer's foraging toy with it or something comparable that is safe. Besides crinkle paper, what other non-edible safe foraging material can I use? Drinking straws maybe?

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

What about toilet paper?! I stuff a bit in the toilet paper rolls, with treats in there layered. But I keep the toilet paper intact so he has to keep pulling. Get them out. I'd like to know where to get crinkle paper from as well tho!!

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
My crinkle paper was sold as Carefresh small animal bedding.

nikkiferguson5038

Jul 30, 2012
Everett area
Parrots
Peanut the Jenday Conure,
RIP Max the Green Cheek Conure,
(unknown name) African Grey-arriving soon
My GCC used to love strings of whole wheat noodles. I used the bowties and penne noodles. He liked to deconstruct them while I was making them. As for food foragers, I would roll a piece of cardboard to look like a toilet paper roll and then place a block at the bottom end and hang it off his cage with some string. Fill it with whatever he likes. He would swing it around for a while and then figure out how to dump in out or just rip off the bottom and watch all the goodies fall onto the floor.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Well, today I made Oliver a cereal box foraging toy. I stuffed it with newspaper to shred, some nutri berries, banana chips, straws, cardboard, and other stuff. Then I cut tiny holes in the box, closed the top, and make it so he would have to get to the treats. Now, the whole front of the box is practically off. LOL.

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

Haha. You should take a picture. I'm making a cereal box toy today too. :)

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
I'get one up right now ;) Give me some minutes. :)

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
You know, the store we got Lucy from gave us one of those little cardboard boxes to bring her home in and it had 6 tiny holes in it for breathing. Needless to say, we barely made it home before she made a full jailbreak.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
8078_10151148632173690_1413108344_n.jpg

547715_10151148631593690_359564912_n.jpg

Some holes he chewed on, some he didn't but that was after only five minutes! Almost gone now...

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Ha! You've gave me an idea, I have a bunch of almost empty Quaker oats boxes I can use. Curious though, and not to be a downer or anything, do you think the ink on the colored boxes might be harmful to them should they ingest it? :confused:

Ive got an idea for everyone to try also. Small pocket sized brown paper bags, fill with crinkle paper and treats, tie into a ball and hang from the cage bars. Quick and easy, and doesn't take up too much space.

... But where can I buy small brown paper bags?

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
I once read on a website that it was perfectly harmless to shred. I've heard of other people using boxes, so I think it's perfectly fine. Plus, he doesn't ingest it, though I'll keep a very close eye on him, just in case.
The paper bag is a really cool idea. I've seen small ones in walmart. And if you can't find them, you could cut the top off a little bit, to make it shorter... =)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I love the treat ideas you shared. I'm glad you wrote about the glue from the empty toilet paper and paper towl rolls. Pritti loves them. He doesn't chew them as much as he used to. He likes to pick up with beak and toss it around. Other times he just likes to sit next to it and snuggle.

I even wonder about cardboard boxes because they may be treated or made with bad stuff too in the paper mulch process.

I take the brown natural coffee filters (basket type that has fan folds), and cut out half inch strips gong around and around. Then I make strips. They are kind of bouncy and floaty and he likes to push them around when hanging out on the kitchen counter.

Pritti also loves the hanging toys I make with blunt edge metal stainless steel cookie cutters. They cling and clang when he pecks at them, but it's like a low chime sound to me.

What is the telephone book toy idea you mentioned?

Another idea -- I just bought him a rope toy that is made of a lot of pieces of thck white rope that goes through holes in a wood duck so that the ropes hang out of both sides of the duck. The ropes have bright colored plastic rings and squares attached to the ends and are different lengths. It's a fun fun toy and he loved it immediately. I'm going to take out the knots, and restring the ropes through a piece of corroguated cardboard around a thick stick because the yellow "fruit flavored" "food grade dye" on the duck came off all over the cloth I cleaned it with when I brought it home. I am very distrustful of these "safe" dyes and paints on mass-produced toys from overseas from places known to violate health regulations on products from infant formula to dry wall. So finding cheap toy parts and rebuilding them can help spark the imagination.

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
That cockatoo made a giant mess lol.

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

Haha I know, lol. And then he kept going like "what did I do?! Haha

ConureCrazy