Best Humidifiers?

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Hello Guys!
Winter is nearing, and where we are, the humidity is horrible in winter. My throat and lungs dry up, and I'm consequently sick for a month or two after that. I was never 'one' for humidifiers, unless I had parrots. I only have Kiko now, and I need a humidifier for him, and for me.

I heard that some brands carry Teflon, so I was wondering if any of you had some humidifiers you like, that don't have any Teflon?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We used to have a frog-shaped Crane humidifier. Worked great for several years, put out a fine mist, and never bothered Kiwi.

Now that we like in OR, where it rains ALL winter, we don't need one. But I recommend Crane.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Need some more info.....are you talking a whole house adapter to a central air unit or a space unit (small area) or room sized unit?

The cheapest would probably be a vaporizer, but without having had any medicated chemicals in it.....

Being in Maine, you've probably got oil heat, forced air or zoned hot water? If you've got forced air, with ducting feeding the rooms, speak to your heating service company about an in-duct add-on unit...they run up to around $400, will require installation, but will probably the cheapest to operate, your heating person can give you the numbers, but probably less than $50 a season. If you've got zoned hot water, a console unit may be what you're looking for, they're larger than vaporizers & require less fillings, some I've seen can be connected to a supply line, like an ice maker, for auto refilling.

As to the teflon parts, they would never get heated to any danger level to cause offgassing, though I might be inclined to run 2-3 tanks of water through a vaporizer & a couple of tanks through a console unit & an in-duct unit, to clean out any oils and/or release compounds that may have been used in manufacturing....the salesman can give you length of time calculations for a couple of tanks in an in-duct unit & (s)he may look at you funny...that's not a normal setup/run procedure, but you don't want aerosolized oils around you 'tiel.....

I'll be out for a while, but will check back on the post later.....good luck.....

Here's a link to an older forum thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/36396-humidifiers.html

Last edited:
OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I have forced air, at the moment. Right now I'm more focused on a small room humidifier. It would be great to humidify the whole house at some point, but it's not my top priority. Kiko spends his days usually only in my room, because he's an anti-social boy, and prefers to stay in a place he is comfortable with, and with the only person he tolerates. I spend most of my time in there too, so I would probably need one for my room only. It is very small for a bedroom, so I don't think I need a particularly strong one.

And thanks for informing me about the fact it isn't heated high enough to cause any harm. I've always been a little paranoid about that, and wouldn't want to heat Teflon to any sort of degree. 8O

I'll check up on that brand, KimKim! Thanks for the info! 83

Most Reactions