best way to dna sex?

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
do avian vets do this? or is it better to go through a different method?

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Avian vets do it but generally charge a lot. I think the best way is to go through a company that does this. I use DNA Solutions that I found through the Internet. They do a lot of this. I prefer sending feathers in and it cost just under $20 is all. The service is good and fast.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
We use avian biotech, I actually just sent one out this morning. It's 20 for blood testing(you cut the birds nail a bit too short) or 25 for feather testing(you pull a couple feathers from the birds chest area and send them in).

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
i'd probably do feathers. i'm too much of a baby to hurt my little nugget :( i'm even nervous to pluck some feathers....

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i will probably do feathers when i get my bird. and use the vet near me unless he chages un godly amounts:D

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
We use avian biotech, I actually just sent one out this morning. It's 20 for blood testing(you cut the birds nail a bit too short) or 25 for feather testing(you pull a couple feathers from the birds chest area and send them in).

I used these guys, and just used the needle provided to get a small blood sample from their feet... I could do it all myself, and didn't need the helper I had lined up...

Most Reactions