Best way to socialize

emmy414

Jan 29, 2014
Parrots
5 Congo African Greys, 2 linneolated Parakeets,
My new LCA is doing well so far, she's 5 1/2 months old. She's been here for a few days now. My question is, what are some great, fun ways to socialize her to everything and everyone? I would also like to harness train her with my aviator harness. I feel stupid asking this as I have had birds for years, but my greys are so different and I want her to be outgoing and used to all kinds if different things. We all know how greys are! Lol. What are some things you Amazon owners do with their Amazons to really socialize them well? We just love this bird, she is awesome!! ; )

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
There should be a video on the harness training.

Socializing an amazon usually involves having strangers come up to the bird and offer treats, and stepping the bird up. When ever someone new comes in, who might be interested, then

I also used to take mine out and about with me. The local park is usually good. Let them get used to strangers coming up to them, and see it's not a threat.

Amazons, usually react to everything the first time by recoiling in horror, and growling. The next time? Not so much. The next time? Hey, I might actually like this. The next time? I want to come with you...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I do things much like birdman. Take your zon every where and do everything with them. carry a few treats around with you and let strangers give him a treat. IMO they should meet new people every day if possible. Back when i used to sell lots of baby zons i would take them to the local pet stores and have them sit on a perch next to the cash register. I'd leave them there for a few days and switch them out with another one. Those birds made very well adjusted ,social pets because of all the exposure to different people. Start the harness training as early as possible. Start slow and don't rush the introduction process. Get a travel cage and use it often. If the zon finds you to be the favorite person,, let others interact with him when your not close by. Include him in everyday activites, washing dishes,cleaning house, going to the mailbox, etc. BUT give him plenty of free time to entertain himself. Keep all interaction to short durations and leave him wanting more from you. Don't pet him until he decides that ,that's enough. You set the limits/rules/ boundaries, be a leader. Zons are good followers if they have a strong confident leader. I could write a book here but will stop for now. Let me know if you have questions.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When I was volunteering at the rescue, we used to play a game of "pass the birdie" with "the biters."

Sit around in a circle, passing the bird from person to person, giving the bird praise, treats, and head scratches if allowed. After a couple of passes, doing this for a few weeks, a bird that could not be handled would usually end up going to just about anyone...

Especially if it was left out on a playstand in a public place for extended periods of time.

The big thing with a zon, or any pair bond bird, is not letting them overbond to the point where no one else can handle them. That's when they start doing the disfavored person biting, and will progress to favorite person displacement biting...

If you never let it become a problem in the first place, it never will be.

Socialization with these guys is the biggest factor in their compatibility and interaction with people.

Last edited:
OP
E

emmy414

Jan 29, 2014
Parrots
5 Congo African Greys, 2 linneolated Parakeets,
Thanks for the advice, that was exactly what I was looking for. I will try these things to keep her socialized and hope for the best. I do have the DVD for the aviator harness, I will go back and watch that too, I would love to be able to take her outside with us in the nice weather, she would probably love to sit on the deck and walk around the yard with us, I just want to give her lots of experiences. : )

Most Reactions

Latest posts