Ding dong the bell is dead!

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Sweet pea got a new toy a few weeks ago with a bell attached to the end, we have been making fun of her because if she accidentally bumps it and it dings she freaks out and starts playing with it...it has been quite entertaining to watch her try to figure out why it is making such a racket, she has put it up to the side of her head like a phone and even got underneath it and tried to use it as a hat. A little while ago i saw her playing with something that looked like a bolt, i took it away from her and started trying to figure out where it came from and what she took apart to get it....its the dinger from the bell. I guess she showed that thing whose boss lol! Just thought it was too funny not to share :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I wouldn't buy that type of bell again. Zons are famous for removing the dinger and sometimes ingesting it. This can be fatal. I buy/ make bells that are made from a short piece of pipe and are "deep" enough that they can't reach the dinger inside.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I second Richard's comment. Before I knew about the danger from bells, my Beaks had demolished quite a few of them. I was mildly annoyed at the waste, but after Safari's tragedy (thread by crimson in which her beloved Safari died from metal toxicity) I would never use ordinary bells again! I have a pipe bell now and the Beaks like that just fine. :)

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I just don't use them...With the exception of one that Parker has on his play area, but he is only on it with supervision

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
good to know, that is the only one she has, and its on her playstand, but i will avoid them in the future :)

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
It is a very funny story - must have been so entertaining to watch! LOL!

I've never had bell issues but that's only because when I first got Percy I read so many warnings about bells, I don't allow any bell in his cage where he can fiddle with it unsupervised. He does have a bell on his playgym though but he's not very interested init, more in the toy its attached to.

Unfortunately, we can't get the pipe type bells here and I'm not DIY enough with metal to make one :(

Clueless

Feb 14, 2012
Missouri
Parrots
Secret & MC, two blue front amazons
If your 'zons like bells - have you checked out Avian Stainless? I have Major Mayhem in one of the cages. MC will go through that toy every chance he gets and I have to admit it's the first toy he played with immediately upon seeing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts