Beware of this toy!!!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I need to make you aware of the dangers of this particular toy!!
I could here Codie making a weird squeaking noise and when I went in she had a long piece of this shredding ball wound about 3 times around her neck :( She was going frantic!! It has just taken me half an hour to untangle it from her!! If I had not have been here, I dread to think what would have happened!!

You will see on the pic the balls on it... She had unravelled one of them ..... this is how she got it wrapped round her neck!!

Here is the Toy!!

snakes_spheres_bird_toy_xl.jpg

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I need to make you aware of the dangers of this particular toy!!
I could here Codie making a weird squeaking noise and when I went in she had a long piece of this shredding ball wound about 3 times around her neck :( She was going frantic!! It has just taken me half an hour to untangle it from her!! If I had not have been here, I dread to think what would have happened!!

You will see on the pic the balls on it... She had unravelled one of them ..... this is how she got it wrapped round her neck!!

Here is the Toy!!

U296A75C_snakensphere0001.jpg

OMG I do not want to think what the outcome would have been, had you not been nearby.
I would contact the company you purchased it from.......
I always avoid toys with balls, covered by any kind of thread.
Say an extra pray tonight Wendy, guardian angels were definitely present.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
thank you for the warning I was thinking of picking up some toys like that for my birds

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Yes, I am going to contact them if I can!! It was pretty scarey... The more she tried to get it off, the tighter it got :( I was trying to get it off her and she was biting me in fright.. It wasnt hard biting, but I just had to let her bite me, as I needed to get it off quickly!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Yes, I am going to contact them if I can!! It was pretty scarey... The more she tried to get it off, the tighter it got :( I was trying to get it off her and she was biting me in fright.. It wasnt hard biting, but I just had to let her bite me, as I needed to get it off quickly!!

I bet is must have been painful for you...:(
Shame just imagine what was going through Codie's mind...
Thank heavens you managed to remove it,
:D Codie could have tried to get away, making it tighter.....

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media

I bet is must have been painful for you...:(
Shame just imagine what was going through Codie's mind...
Thank heavens you managed to remove it,
:D Codie could have tried to get away, making it tighter.....

Yes, I was shaking with panic :(

Well, at least she is not too affected by it.. She is now happily playing away :)

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
Thank you for posting this. I was looking at toys similar to this. I can't imagine what would have happened if you weren't home. I would definitely suggest calling the company/manufacturer. You both must have been so scared. :(

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thank you for posting this. I was looking at toys similar to this. I can't imagine what would have happened if you weren't home. I would definitely suggest calling the company/manufacturer. You both must have been so scared. :(

Yes, I am going to call the Manufacturer!!

You would never dream something like this could happen!! Normally, with this type of toy, she just shreds them to bits, but for some reason, this time it just unravelled instead!

I just thank my lucky stars that I was here at the time :)

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
OMG I have a similar toy, walking to the trash with it now!!! We had our own near death experience today, read it in eclectus forum here. Im still shaken from it, thank goodness we both reacted quickly. Everyone should beware, it only takes a second to loose your precious baby, watch them closely.

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
OMG I have a similar toy, walking to the trash with it now!!! We had our own near death experience today, read it in eclectus forum here. Im still shaken from it, thank goodness we both reacted quickly. Everyone should beware, it only takes a second to loose your precious baby, watch them closely.

I agree.. It just goes to show how quickly things can happen :(

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
wow thank god you were there. i was looking at that exact toy at my bird store. i guess im not buying it now. i have a question though, i bought this ball of twine as a food toy. its just natural twine wrpped up into a ball about the size of a tenis ball(a BIT smaller). would that be safe. where i bought it from she had one in all of here parrots cages and a quaker and a ringneck were both playing with it together. i think it should be okay but just making sure.

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
wow thank god you were there. i was looking at that exact toy at my bird store. i guess im not buying it now. i have a question though, i bought this ball of twine as a food toy. its just natural twine wrpped up into a ball about the size of a tenis ball(a BIT smaller). would that be safe. where i bought it from she had one in all of here parrots cages and a quaker and a ringneck were both playing with it together. i think it should be okay but just making sure.

If its a food toy, it should be ok! Codie has lots of these type balls as foot toys, which are fine as she shreds them quickly, but I think because this was a hanging one in her Cage, she pulled it and it unravelled and somehow because she was swinging upside down on it at the time it got caught round her neck, then when she twisted round to try and free it,.. it then went round more, until in the end, it was wrapped round her about 3 times!!

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Terrible, I'm so glad you were home. Are those wicker type balls? I see them all the time on toys.

Yes, they are the very fine type of wicker balls Becky! I have a feeling that this was a sheer fluke thing to happen, but nevertheless, I will not be buying anymore like it :(

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Thanks for posting that Wendy. Glad you were there. Hug Codie for me.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper

If its a food toy, it should be ok! Codie has lots of these type balls as foot toys, which are fine as she shreds them quickly, but I think because this was a hanging one in her Cage, she pulled it and it unravelled and somehow because she was swinging upside down on it at the time it got caught round her neck, then when she twisted round to try and free it,.. it then went round more, until in the end, it was wrapped round her about 3 times!!

okay thanks. i guess i can keep it then:) i also saw some of those wicker balls, but as foot toys. this was way befor this thread was made(like 2 months ago) so i was really wanting to buy one. but i decided on the ball of twine instead. would the wicker one be safe as a foot toy too since its not hanging? or just totally avoid them?

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Are those wicker balls or something else? Those are very common toy components. I always assumed they were stiff enough not to pose that kind of danger, so this is very good to know! Wow, how scary!

This is a good reminder to me to check everything in the cage regularly to see if it is tending to shred, if any fibers are coming loose, etc. I know I should do it, but sometimes I get busy and forget to look closely. I'm glad you were there to catch it in time!

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Omg omg I have only just seen this I really hope codie is ok I won't be buying this toy for jinx that's for sure and I really think it should be removed from the production line this toy is a danger to our birds as you sadly found out today I really do hope codie is fine Wendy and I'm sorry you had to go through that due to some stupid unsafe toy.

Most Reactions