Beware of this toy!!!

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I too have a similar toy that is heading to the trash can.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Glad you were there to help your baby. It's important to remember that with any toy given to a bird, things like this can happen. We must always be vigilante.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
It's important to remember that with any toy given to a bird, things like this can happen.
True dat. I'm not sure any toy is 100% safe. But I sure would not have pegged that one as particularly risky!

. i have a question though, i bought this ball of twine as a food toy. its just natural twine wrpped up into a ball about the size of a tenis ball(a BIT smaller). would that be safe.

Did you mean foot toy? Actually a ball of twine strikes me as one of the most potentially risky toys you could have! If it's a foot toy used only with supervision you're probably OK, but I'd go with a wicker ball over a ball of twine. So easy to unwind a long piece and then get it wrapped around a foot or neck...

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
hmmmmmm. i didnt think it would be bad at all. it is acually really hard to unwind just bacause the way this one is wrapped. its weird but it constatly wraps around itself(i know they all do, thats what forms a ball but this is different.) so you can really unwind it. the longest string he/she would be able to unwind by just carrying/chewing it should be about 4 in. i know that cans till wrap around something but it isnt bad. he/she would have to acually WANT to unravel the ball and figure out how to do so. and he/she would only be unsupervised with it for about 7 hours(while im at school). i would cut hanging stings every morning and when i get home. so i dont think it would be to bad. sorry if i kinda sounded rude, didnt mean to be at all!

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Wow that is really scary, I always buy toys with those balls in them! :( Never again!! Glad your little baby is safe and sound, thank god you were home!

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Wow. I'm so glad you were close by!! Definitely an angel over that fid!

I'll beware now of similar toys.

Also, I just want to send love out to all the wonderful parronts here! Y'all are alert, precautions, fast acting, loving, caring, wonderful people. Y'all are the kind of people I look up to. Especially when I'm doubting myself about my birds health, safety and well being.

Is she doing ok now? Shooken up at all?

com520

Sep 1, 2012
Houston, Tx
Parrots
Sun Conure
aw, man. that sux. when i usually buy a toy for my sun conure i usually think about it twice. I don't have any kids and my bird its quite an experience. lol . so what i buy is like wood or a rope. but you never know..thanks for the heads up..

Sarahtheumbrella

Jun 22, 2012
Parrots
a beautiful umbrella cockatoo
I am not very satisfied with wicker foot toys wither, because when my hyper umbrella is running all over the place it can trip her up, and when hanging it can scratch her eye!
Well I am glad Cody is okay. Cody is very lucky to have an owner trying to save his life no matter how much pain it caused his owner.

LauraT

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots
Baxter - Senegal, Reilly - Blue Crown Conure, Robinson - Red Bellied Parrot
Thank you for sharing.
Thank goodness you were right there. Soooo scary.
Laura

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
WOW, thank goodness you were there.

Yes, I just thank my lucky stars I was here :) I could quite easily have been out Shopping! There is just no way, she could have freed this herself, as the more she was frantically trying to get it off, the tighter it was getting :11:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
OMG Wendy , Im thanking God you were there to help Codie !!
I have given my guys those wicker ball foot toys for a while and have always removed the long strands when I see them , but a accident can happen so fast as you have unfortunately found out , I will not be giving my babies these foot toys anymore , just to be on the safe side. I just can stop saying OMG !!! I can only imagine the relief you felt once you got that toy off !! Holy poop !!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
That said , there will be many , many prayers tonight to keep all our babies safe :)

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
OMG Wendy , Im thanking God you were there to help Codie !!
I have given my guys those wicker ball foot toys for a while and have always removed the long strands when I see them , but a accident can happen so fast as you have unfortunately found out , I will not be giving my babies these foot toys anymore , just to be on the safe side. I just can stop saying OMG !!! I can only imagine the relief you felt once you got that toy off !! Holy poop !!

Yes, it was a scarey experience :(

Codie is fine with them as foot toys as she just shreds them, but because this was a hanging toy in her Cage, she unravelled it whilst swinging upside down and somehow it got wrapped round her neck :(

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
They are made from wood/vine type material. I have them for my GCC, she loves them, but she only gets to play with them while she is out of her cage and supervised. I am glad you bird is ok. I think a lot of toys should only be given while supervised. Freak accidents happen, the other day Ziva got her wing stuck in between the bars of her cage. She is fine, I was right there when it happened. But my heart was pounding until I checked her out and made sure everything was fine.

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I sent the Manufacturers of this Toy an email to warn them over the dangers of it!! I have had a reply from them, which I have shown below!

[FONT=&quot]Hi Wendy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am sorry you have experienced this issue with one of our parrot toys. I have never received a complaint of this nature about this toy since bringing in the range early last year and so I am surprised. I hope your pet is ok and is recovering well?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will of course pass on your feedback to our design department and ask them to follow this through with the factory who makes them. It may be that the item you purchased was faulty.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If there is another bird toy we do that you would like me to send you free of charge as a gesture of goodwill, please let me know. If so, please provide me with the name and code from our website www.sharplesgrant.com and a note of your address to send it to.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Again I am sorry for the trouble you have encountered with this item. Sharples & Grant do strive to make safe toys for all animals and I appreciate you letting me know about this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I look forward to hearing from you with regards to this matter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kind regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gaily [/FONT]

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Does that mean they'll keep it in stock ?

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Wendy ,
Are you satisfied with their letter ?
I have seen the same response from a dog toy company.
But eventually they ended up paying most if not all the dogs vet bills and I do think the dog ended up having to be put to sleep. The people pushed for the toy to me remodeled or just taken off the shelves. It was taken off due to a "malfunction".
The toy is the "pimple ball". It has only one hole it , so when the do chewed on it like all dogs will do , it sucked his tongue in completely.
This was the most horrid injury I have ever seen and I worked in a animal ER for quite some time.
If your not satisfied , push for the toy to be removed from production. Get a s many signatures as you can, you know that will be VERY EASY .
And dont give up , if you keep pushing and keeping this in the forefront , they have to respond with a more agreeable decision.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I forgot to add , that because of the people's persistence , all toy balls that had only one hole in them , had to be removed from shelves and remodeled with the two holes we see today in the dog toys. That was enough , so no dog experiences the pain and ending their dog had. The suction created in the ball when the dog chewed sucked in the dogs tongue , but with a second hole , the vacuum effect isnt there anymore.
I will gladly sign a petition for you .

OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Does that mean they'll keep it in stock ?

The lady I spoke with has said she will get back to me, once the Makers have looked into it! If they do not stop making this Toy and take them off the shelves, then I will take action myself!

I will await to hear what they say first before I act on it!

Most Reactions