Big beaks CAN mean big damage

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Now by most bird people that know me personally I'm known as the "cockatoo girl", and while I really despise the title I've come to understand why they call me that. I'll brave the meanest nastiest 'too on the planet and not think twice. On the flip side they call my husband the "macaw guy", he will brave the worlds most nasty macaw without a second thought. Now as long as he and I deal with our "preferred species", neither of us ever has much trouble... But, my husbands out of town and that leaves me to deal with a very unpleasant pair of greenwings. Some of our breeder birds clearly prefer one person over the other, and our macaws are no different. Our Greenwing male is sweet and I can handle him all day, the hen isn't bad either unless your fingers are too close to the outside of her cage. I was replacing the nest box, and the hen got me. I have never seen a macaw use the full force of their beak, but Pepper decided that my proximity to her nest was not only unacceptable, but downright evil of me.... So she latched onto my thumb and chewed with all her might and would not let go. I waited patiently for her to release my thumb, since in a moment she had pulled it through the nest box door and I couldn't do anything but hope she'd eventually believe she taught my thumb a lesson and let go. I've had birds (including macaws) my whole life, and this was the first time a bird bite warranted an e.r. visit and 6 stitches. She chewed down to my knuckle bone and did enough damage that I can no longer feel the part of my thumb just bellow the nail. My thumb no longer bends all the way either. Now, the dr. Says the thumb will eventually bend all the way, but the nerves that allow the feeling just before my thumb nail on the back side will probably never fully heal.

She is still a well behaved bird outside her cage and away from her nest, but I just wanted to share my dumb mistake and lack of judgement with you all. It took 20 years, but I finally received a serious parrot bite, and believe me when I tell you that while a macaw nearly never uses full force, to remember that they are capable of it. I'll spare you the photos I took while at the e.r. since they are quite yukky.

PAGE 2 CONTAINS GRAPHIC PHOTO OF MY STITCHED THUMB!

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
How horrible! I'm so sorry this happened to you :( I think posting the pictures may be a good thing, I've met a lot of people with no bird experience that plan to go out and get a macaw as their first bird, maybe seeing exactly what they are capable of will spare a few folks and birds some heartache...

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Ok, we'll take a poll. Who thinks that a photos of my bloody stiched up thumb should be added to this post?... I don't want to gross anyone out.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Ouch! I was wincing in pain just reading... I'm sorry she got you and did such damage. I tend to agree with IcyWolf... just post a disclamier for the weak stomachs. People need to know the damage that *can be done, especially from an otherwise friendly bird!

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
Once this thread makes it to 2 pages, I'll post the photo on the second page (that way I can edit my original post with a disclaimer, and people can choose whether they click to page two. (Best I can do to protect weak stomachs)

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
I need help getting to page two if I'm gonna post a photo. So?

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
That sounds good.... We'll get it to page 2.

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I've had MAC, our B&G Macaw grab hold of me pretty hard but not enough to do that kind of damage. Not that he can't, he just has not.

Hope all heals up real quick and minimal after effects!!

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
We still haven't made it to page 2? How much more can I say? It hurt... a lot. But honestly the lidocane shots before the stitches hurt more...lol

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
When the pet store near me used to have two big macaws I would always be afraid to hold them.I just kept thinking of what that beak could do!

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
Bleu got my lip pretty bad last week! I'm so sorry that happened to you! I can't imagine the pain... :(

Edit// PAGE 2!!

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
IMG_20120129_181648.jpg

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
Before the stitches while the dr was looking he noted that the slice went through all the fat and muscle layes down to the knuckle itself.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
OUCH! :( I hope you feel better soon! And I hope you don't blame the hen for being a protective momma :)

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
No, I don't blame Pepper at all. I'm not even afraid of her. As much as we all love parrots, they are not domesticated animals. They naturally feel they need to guard their nests, etc.. Some parrots are more easy going than others, but in my line of work I am gonna get bit here and there. Pepper still gets treats from my hands and all the same care she did before... nothing changed (except my grasping ability a bit...lol). I chalk it up to an "industrial accident"...lol now if I could just get workmans comp I'd be set! :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh my goodness...I personally understand how bad their bite can be and I still have the scars to show. I hope your hand heal soon!!!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Ooooh, ouch! Right on the knuckle!

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
African Grey named Buddy and Marty
re-homed from rescues both are about 5 years old.
My macaw is a still a baby and most loving puts my fingers in his mouth all the time like a child would do. I can't imagine so much change as they grow up I guess they really are just like kids we wish they could stay little forever...
Hope you recover real soon and that you get full mobility of your thumb.

Best of luck,

Scott Buddy Marty Penelope and Sammy

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
So sorry about your finger. I still have 2 scars from a 'too that I took in after she was attacked by a dog. Until she became trusting of me, we had some pretty hectic moments. I was patient, (and fast!), and she calmed down. I loved her so. And learned some valuable lessons about that can opener on their faces.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Wow ! How scary , sheesh !
It really is amazing how much power they have and rarely do they use it on us humans. Thank goodness you got away with just 6 stitches...It could have been much worse , I'm sure you know that. Not saying that isnt bad enough and possibly losing partial feeling in your thumb is horrible. I'm for seeing the pictures because it's a wake up call to people who under estimate that powerful beak.

Most Reactions

Latest posts