Big flock of SC2s near home today

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I'm so sorry I wasn't able to take pictures! We were in afternoon rush hour traffic, motoring up Jesmond Hill with three lanes going in each direction when I realised that what I thought was white paper sheets blowing across the hill was actually the biggest flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos I've ever seen! There must have been a thousand or more of them! (NB. I'm used to counting wild birds, so you can believe my estimate).

The thing is, this was in outer suburban Newcastle. The wild flocks fly over all the time and occasionally alight on power lines or football fields to feed. I was blown away by the fact that traffic madness was going on all around and this flock was just feeding peacefully on the green grass of the median strip. Sadly, I didn't get to see the flock take flight. I reckon that would've been a real buzz and can't imagine the noise that would have accompanied the birds. They're deafening enough when they fly over your house at height! LOL!

Anyway, that sight made my day and I thought I would share it with everyone. Hope I get to see it again. If I do, I'll be sure to get photos. :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What an amazing thing to have witnessed! Too bad the rest of us couldn't have seen too:( Sounds like we need to glue a camera to your forehead from now on:D:D:D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, I cannot even imagine seeing that! How incredible that must have been.
I agree with April, camera attached to your forehead from now on, please:)

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
PB: Green Cheek Conure (hatched 2009);
Master Beaker: B&G macaw (hatched Aug. 2014)
I'd love it if in my lifetime virtual reality becomes, well, reality so I may have the opportunity to experience crazy little things just like that as if I were actually there. Thank you so much for sharing!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
That must have been an awesome site. We have a large flock of amazons that fly around San Diego, my est. about 30+ parrots. Nothing compared to what you saw, but still an "ooooo, ahhhh" moment. Makes you stop and watch. They can be so funny too. They will land on the phone lines, do somersaults, watch the passerby's as we watch them. You know they are listening, they tilt their heads. It too is an awesome site.

Most Reactions