Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Great job! I love how you have so much courage/ motivation :D hope you do well!

Thanks !!!!!!

I originally wanted to do the 10km, but would have had to take my own car, and I am afraid to drive to that neighborhood by myself.

The run itself is absolutely fantastic and safe with many supports along the entire route cheering you on AND A STRONG POLICE PRESENCE.

Steven is running the 42km run.
I would have had to wait 2 hours after the 10km run for Steven to finish and refused saying he will not let me do that.

Steven chatted about me running the 21km but never pushed me. The next day, I received a e-mail saying Congratulations you have registered for the Nike Soweto 21km run. I nearly had heart failure.

Steven and I spoke that evening and he has so much faith in my and my running, that is why he decided to enter me.

Steven begins the 42km run at 6am and the 21km begins at 6.30am.

Looking so forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Tomorrow is the BIG day

I am excited and just as nervous.

We are hydrating today and taking it easy and relaxing.

Awaking at 3.30am, having a quick breakfast then we off.

Steven begins the 42 km run at 6am, and should take him about 5 hours.
He is running with his boss (happy someone will be with him as any mother would be)

I will begin the 21km run at 6.30am, and should be take me about 3 - 3 1/2 hours.

I know it will be tough for me (Steven has been training 100%)

Mentally I am prepared, physically the final results will show !!!!!!

Just praying it is overcast, as we have been experiencing extremely hot temperatures lately.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Remember as you run, Ant: we're all with you in spirit! Onward and upward, my girl! :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations in advance, Antoinette! You do realize that undertaking and completing - regardless of time - a race of this magnitude de facto makes you a winner! A strong finish is desirable, but you have already, by dint of your training, accomplished a feat few humans dare contemplate.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
All done and dusted !!!!!! Oh dear so tired... meant the run and completed.
What an amazing run. Finished the 21km run in 3hrs and 8 minutes.

Was a tough run, especially the uphills.

Weather was fantastic overcast all the way. Amazing support from runners.
Thank you for all your support and encouragement.

From the 14km mark a young girl of 30 years old asked if she could run with me. My reply was DEFINITELY. She was marking me and like my style of running/walking.

2014-11-02094257_zpseb3b6961.jpg

THANK YOU to Steven my personal coach.. for believing in me. Without you I would NEVER had completed it.
Steven ran brilliantly, he completed the 42km run in 4 hours and 58 minutes.
I am so proud of my "BABY" Luff ya STEVELIEKE

2014-11-02105935_zps9eaa9e2f.jpg

I will definitely do a few more 21km runs in the near future.

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thanks thekarens

We were rather stiff on Monday, looked like to pensioners trying to walk LoL

Today I feel 100%, did 1000 steps on my stepper and will do a few more during the course of the day.

Steven has already hinted that there is a 21km run in our suburb the end of November...... will have to think about that....

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Congratulations to the two of you! What an achievement! I love the photo of you both holding your medals. Amazing what a mother-and-son team can achieve together isn't it? We're all so proud of you and can't wait to hear of your next adventure. :)

PS. I'm guessing 'Antalieke' isn't the proper thing to say? :D

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congratulations to the two of you! What an achievement! I love the photo of you both holding your medals. Amazing what a mother-and-son team can achieve together isn't it? We're all so proud of you and can't wait to hear of your next adventure. :)

PS. I'm guessing 'Antalieke' isn't the proper thing to say? :D

Thanks Trish !!! also for all your encouragement

While running I was thinking about all the fantastic encouragement I had received from many members and that kept me going.
Evert step I ran I thought OMW Steven has to do double to what I am running and that kept me mentally strong as well.

Sometimes I think am I a sucker for punishment.......
Yet during the runs, it is so enjoyable and fun.

When I ran into the stadium I was practically on my own, it was mind blowing. Spectators just kept encouraging me and giving us high fives.
I felt like I had won LoL

Steven has already mentioned our next run, the end of November here in our suburb Alberton. It's a 21km run as well.

'Antalieke I love it !!!!!!

Just had a look at my medal for the first time, it's been in my tog bag
IT'S ALL THANK TO STEVEN X X

2014-11-04135342_zps64a9c4c9.jpg

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations, Antoinette!

21 KM is quite the achievement, and we're all very proud of you! As a former track runner, (sprinter, though. Only did cross-country for pre-season strength building workouts when my coach dragged me kicking and screaming! Lol!) I can truly appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into running such a race.

What I've always loved about running is that your principal opponent is yourself. It's an act of will and perseverance, and there's nothing like the feeling of crossing the finish line!

Congratulations, again, on yet another victory over your principal opponent!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congratulations, Antoinette!

21 KM is quite the achievement, and we're all very proud of you! As a former track runner, (sprinter, though. Only did cross-country for pre-season strength building workouts when my coach dragged me kicking and screaming! Lol!) I can truly appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into running such a race.

What I've always loved about running is that your principal opponent is yourself. It's an act of will and perseverance, and there's nothing like the feeling of crossing the finish line!

Congratulations, again, on yet another victory over your principal opponent!

Thanks Stephen !!!!!

You are so correct in saying......

your principal opponent is yourself. It's an act of will and perseverance, and there's nothing like the feeling of crossing the finish line!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Another 21km run done and dusted.....

Steven and I did the Alberton run this morning.
The weather was superb being overcast and cool.

Steven finished in 1 hour and 45 minutes, his PB for 21km run, well done my Stevie.

When finishing Steven came back for me (probably to check if I am still alive LoL)
Bless his beautiful soul, he ran and walked the last three km with me, encouraging me to finish before the cut off time 3 hours.
I managed to finish it in 2 hours and 55 minutes, JUST IN TIME.
Had it not been for Steven I doubt whether I would have finished on time THANKS STEVIE......

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yay! Congrats on another long one, Ant!!

I must admit I cracked up laughing at the dusted..... part. :D

How are your legs feeling? How sweet of Steven to not only go back looking for you, but to cheer you on as well! :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Very well done, Antoinette! It sounds like this run was a test of strength and endurance. What a great experience to share with Steven, and so sweet of him to encourage you to push harder during that last mile.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet! Congrats on overcoming another test of endurance! Most impressive! And I love that Steven came back for you. A son has his mother's back!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Yay! Congrats on another long one, Ant!!

I must admit I cracked up laughing at the dusted..... part. :D

How are your legs feeling? How sweet of Steven to not only go back looking for you, but to cheer you on as well! :)

Thanks Batty
Not to bad two 21km runs in one month

This run was easier on course only a few uphills, not like the last one the last 3 km were steep uphill.
I finished this run in a faster time than the last by 13 minutes (there was no cut off time for the last one)

I did train a little for the last run, this one I was in two minds. Should I do the 10 or 21km run knowing I had not trained at all.
I decided to do the 21 and see how good my will power was and how strong my endurance is.

Steven is the absolute best EVER, he always thinks of others. I told him I was not tired at all, was breathing normal but my legs were like lead.
I had lost them along the route. He told me when to run and ran with me, telling me to run lightly and small steps but keep going.

I reckon I was the last person to cross the finishing line within the time limit.

Just happy I finished and made it within the time limit.

As for my legs when finishing could hardly bend down to take my sneakers off (bad blister on the left foot). My legs were like jelly.

This morning they are still a bit stiff, but not as bad as the last run.

I just asked Steven when is the next run.... LoL he thinks I am mad.

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Very well done, Antoinette! It sounds like this run was a test of strength and endurance. What a great experience to share with Steven, and so sweet of him to encourage you to push harder during that last mile.

Thanks Allee

Test of strength and endurance and madness !!!!!!!

I would not have made it on time I reckon had Steven not encouraged me. He is the BEST COACH EVER !!!!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Sweet! Congrats on overcoming another test of endurance! Most impressive! And I love that Steven came back for you. A son has his mother's back!

Thanks Stephen... Steven always has my back.
When trying to run the last leg so to speak, he asked me if I have I any jelly babies left (great energy boost) then told me to take some more.

I crossed the finish line with a mouth full of jelly babies and still managed to smile.

Most Reactions