:) bilingual bird

MangoandKiwi

Oct 20, 2015
Pittsburgh
Parrots
two green cheek conures (former breeders) Mango and Kiwi
My Kiwi just spoke Dutch :D
I'm soooo happy lol

She's not tame and has been really difficult (she's a parent raised former breeder and was cage bound), we still can't touch her and she absolutely does not want to step up. She does take treats from the hand and comes out of the cage now. We really take baby steps with her and little moments like today make it all soooo worth it :p

So far she makes the laughing sound, coughing sound, she say's "What" has said "Mango" once (I died it was so cute) and said "Hello" only once too. She babbles often when my husband speaks but because those two talk at the same time I can never hear what she says. I think she tries to say "I love you" and "Good night" too. Most of the time she just randomly speaks and won't repeat it. But today she did :D

Since living in the US I always speak English but somehow I often end up talking Dutch to the animals? I actually didn't even realize it until my husband pointed it out lol

I call Kiwi "Meisje" sometimes meaning "little girl" in Dutch, often when she seems upset "what's the matter meisje?" or "hey meisje are you ok?" Today she repeated "Meisje" and not once but a few times and corrected the pronunciation after every time :D It was soooo cute

I'm probably really weird for being so happy now lol

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Not weird at all. Especially when you see a bird that came out of a difficult situation start to open up and interact more. I've been able to experience that privilege twice now and it melted the heart each time. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I agree, not weird at all :). It's very exciting whenever they surprise us with something new!

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to รขโ‚ฌล“Teflon Disasterรขโ‚ฌ๏ฟฝ 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Sounds like you guys are just smooth sailing....how fun! Well, perhaps it does not seem smooth at times but you have obviously won her affection somehow. I know that conures can usually come up with a couple of words, but my GCC has never said 1 word. And...she is out with us ALLLLLL day!

Both of my Sun's talk but I have never heard a word from my GCC. My Suns say (usually in context now) Good Morning! How are you? Where are you going? Okay and What? You can almost have a conversation with them!

Most Reactions

Latest posts