Bio-Active

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Hello all!

It has been a while since I posted here but I have a couple questions! Many people who keep reptiles will at least have hear about bio-active keeping or bio-active enclosures. I have 2 snakes currently and an working on bioactive enclosures for them including cultivated isopods and springtails. I am actually testing them in some of my house plants at the moment. The purpose is to keep a "clean up crew" in the snake enclosure to eat sheds and droppings. I'm presently giving the isopods the bird's scraps/leftovers and they are doing a good job of breaking it down.

I just redid one of the "bird stations" with a pretty large catch tray and was doing some research on bedding/substrate to put in it. I normally line the bottom with undyed paper towels and then some hay or uncolored cardboard/paper confetti for them to play with if they want to but I am out of both. I was searching to see if pine or cedar bedding was safe(I know its not) and came across suggestions of untreated soil. This has me wondering if anyone has tried bioactive in their cages or catch trays.

Any success?
Any health concerns?
Any questions about the isopods and care that might help with answering previous questions?

Isopods have fairly basic care requirements. They need a source of protein, a source of Calcium(I actually give mine cuttlebone meant for birds), hiding areas, and a moisture gradient. They eat droppings, dead plant material etc.

Springtails specifically eat fungi, mold, and mildew alongside the decaying plant material.

They would need to be supplemented with additional plant matter and depending of the depth of the catch tray they would need to be misted frequently. Given I've been keeping Isopods in the house in some of my house plants I don't think having the isopods in general should be an issue I'm just wondering if there would be anything harmful to keeping them in a closer vicinity? I'll try and post pictures soon!

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
The birdstation:
PXL_20230921_143311178.jpg
PXL_20230921_143337887.jpg

The hooligans:

PXL_20230921_143249117.jpg

The isopods:
PXL_20230921_150046959.jpg
PXL_20230921_150243274.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
bioactive works for reptiles because they don't make as much of a mess. They usually consume their food in the entirety and they poop maybe once a day if not less depending on the reptile. Birds poop every ~15 minutes if not more. A bioactive substrate wouldn't be able to keep up while maintaining the perks of a bioactive set up. It would end up just being more of a hassle for you to clean up. However a tray of dry dirt or play sand has its perks as you can easily sift out poop similar to how you would do a cat litter pan. HOWEVER you don't really want them consuming the substrate which would be difficult as a parrot likes to forage in their tray typically. Paper is usually the best for lining parrot trays and there really isn't anything better.

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Good to know! I'll stick to the hay since that seems relatively safe and they have fun digging in it. We call them scrabble boxes or scrabble trays

Side note I have puppy pads under the paper towels. Primarily for bath time splashes.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Good to know! I'll stick to the hay since that seems relatively safe and they have fun digging in it. We call them scrabble boxes or scrabble trays

Side note I have puppy pads under the paper towels. Primarily for bath time splashes.
I would also remove the puppy pads. Most of them have pheromones on them to attract dogs to them which can be harmful to birds and if a bird ever gets a hold of them the plastic backing can be harmful as well as the absorbent material inside.

Most Reactions

Latest posts