halogen

May 18, 2013
Media
Wilmette
Parrots
Arya-Cockatiel
Tyrion-Cockatiel
Hey all,

So I'm getting a bird in the near future. Probably June-ish. I have two small dogs, who've never been around birds before. If I plan on taking my bird out of the cage, should I separate him from my dogs?

I had a hamster before and one of the dogs just left it be. The other one would follow it around for awhile then just watch it. Neither one of the dogs has ever killed anything, nor shown any interest so I'm more concerned about the bird being stressed out or afraid of them (or biting the dogs) than I am about the dogs hurting it. Basically, is the bird going to be okay if the dogs are around when he's out of the cage? Assuming they don't hurt each other, will the bird be able to get accustomed to having the dogs around?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Birds can get accustomed to having dogs around just fine. Never trust dogs 100% around birds no matter what size they are! All it takes is just one mistake....

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
Yes, PLEASE know that you can NEVER let your guard down with birds and other pets in the house...Our dog was ALWAYS good with Wilbur, we had always been in the room when the bird was out...until the one day when my husband left the room without thinking about putting Wilbur away and locking the cage...

http://www.parrotforums.com/bereavement/28460-broken-heart.html

It only takes ONE mistake... :(

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I personally would never take a chance and have a dog around my bird.
"Accidents" happen so quickly

Rather be safe than sorry

Most Reactions

Latest posts