My mother is getting a dog and I am worried about my Sun getting hurt or killed

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
So currently living in one house are my parents, my Sun and myself.

A schnauzer Yorkshire terrier mix was at my house and my mother caved and decided to take him. He is seven weeks old and he will be living with us permanently as part of the family in three weeks.

after 19 yesterday of having birds I am more hyper aware of whst can happen to them. Yes, Sunny has lived with a Westie for 12 years but now Sunny is older who I am more over protective.

I no nothing about Schnorkies. Will this dog try to eat my bird? I donā€™t want my baby to get hurt but I donā€™t want her to lose her out of cage time. In the past dogs would always stay close to my mother so I am hoping that means the dog would remain on one floor while Sunny would remain upstairs with he when out of the cage.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So currently living in one house are my parents, my Sun and myself.

A schnauzer Yorkshire terrier mix was at my house and my mother caved and decided to take him. He is seven weeks old and he will be living with us permanently as part of the family in three weeks.

after 19 yesterday of having birds I am more hyper aware of whst can happen to them. Yes, Sunny has lived with a Westie for 12 years but now Sunny is older who I am more over protective.

I no nothing about Schnorkies. Will this dog try to eat my bird? I donā€™t want my baby to get hurt but I donā€™t want her to lose her out of cage time. In the past dogs would always stay close to my mother so I am hoping that means the dog would remain on one floor while Sunny would remain upstairs with he when out of the cage.
I would worry about any dog around my birds. Even if the dog is gentle and doesn't mean any harm it would be too easy for the dog to bite first and think later.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It sounds like you have a two-story house? Would your mom be ok with the dog staying on the first floor? If so, you could put a gate at the stairs to keep the dog downstairs and then keep your sun upstairs. I raised our current two dogs around my birds and from day one made it clear to the dogs that they are not to interact with the birds. If they even look at the birds for more than a second I tell them to ā€œleave it.ā€ So they never have a chance to fixate on the bird which can turn into a predatory stare and stalking. I think itā€™s important to teach a dog how to act properly around a bird, because if theyā€™re in the same house interactions are going to happen. But I also donā€™t think you can ever 100 % trust a predator and prey animal together. I would say, try to make sure the new dog understands how to act around a bird, but avoid/be very careful about having them in the same room.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
As someone with four (yes, four) cats, my experience with predator/prey relationships is there shouldn't be one lmao. I have one cat that wouldn't hurt a fly, and for a long time she was my only cat... I'd even let the birds out in her presence, and nothing bad ever happened... but just because nothing bad ever happened doesn't mean something bad couldn't happen in the future, and my other 3 cats are very much hunters. If my birds are out, my cats are closed out of the room, period.

It stresses me out beyond belief watching TikToks and Youtube videos of people recording their birds playing with their cats or dogs. It's a disaster waiting to happen. If you can either close your bedroom door to keep the dog out when your bird is playing with you or keep the dog downstairs (keeping in mind that your bird could fly downstairs if spooked so it's not a perfect solution) then that's what I'd do, personally.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
This is not ideal....I'd plead upon your mom to not do this. You have a pet no need for anouther less intelligent pet that can't even talk. I'd fight it. But then I'm an adult with my own home so.....I guess you just be as clever as possible.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We have three dogs, a cat, and our birds. Itā€™s doable - but they need separate spaces. I have little dogs like your prospective dog. Our birds have their own room the dogs arenā€™t allowed into, unless the birds are in their cages. If the birds come upstairs, the dogs go into their kennels and the cat goes into an upstairs bedroom. The birds mostly stay down in the office though, as they have a large play area down here.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I agree it's do-able but a strange new dog and a beloved an expensive parrot....

Yorkshire "terrier" mix it's a dog bread to hunt.

You don't have the dog yet I swear talk your mom out of it.

plus the poop smells.

Just my opinion but, I don't see any gain from this. I 'm here to defend parrots.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Guys, I am not able to talk her out of it because my parents already paid for the dog.

Thank you for your opinions. I am not looking for the bird and the dog to hang out together if that is what you think. This is my mother's dog, and Sunny is my bird. Yes, the house has two floors, and the dog should probably be with my mother, who mostly hangs out on the first floor. When Sunny is roaming free, it is usually upstairs or at the piano in the living room, jamming with me. The dog is not allowed access to the living room.

I was not able to talk my mother out of it. Basically, my sister showed up with the dog and put it in her lap, and she was basically roped into it. I think it will be good for my mother to have a dog as a companion, but I was annoyed that no one, even my sister and the friend that brought the dog over (she used to have a macaw) didn't even consider the safety of my bird.

Unfortunately, my family never asks for my opinion, and when I express it they really don't listen. That's just how it always is and was. It comes with being the youngest.

The advantage my Sun has is that she can fly. I would be more concerned if she were clipped. She also likes to be on me, so I am hoping she will do so when the dog is in view.

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
This is not ideal....I'd plead upon your mom to not do this. You have a pet no need for anouther less intelligent pet that can't even talk. I'd fight it. But then I'm an adult with my own home so.....I guess you just be as clever as possible.
At same time parrots bond to one person only so the mother may just want a pet of her own to love and give love to her. I love dogs had two beautiful girls who passed now I have Diva my four month old quaker and personally would never have a dog. I'm actually confident enough I could train a puppy to have boundaries with Diva but I live in a small one bedroom apartment I would not do it. I wouldn't have the room to set up seperate areas and would never let them in physical contact together so Diva would have to spend more time in cage and she's free range apart from bedtime. It wouldn't be fair and id be terrified of an accident. Diva also despite not been clipped shows no desire to fly and loves walking on the floor so that would worry me with dog. My real concern on this post is the puppy in question been terrior type it will take a lot of training and supervision to curb that hunting small animals instinct. Advantage been it's a house with different levels for both of the pets and the dog is a young puppy which is easier to train.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Guys, I am not able to talk her out of it because my parents already paid for the dog.

Thank you for your opinions. I am not looking for the bird and the dog to hang out together if that is what you think. This is my mother's dog, and Sunny is my bird. Yes, the house has two floors, and the dog should probably be with my mother, who mostly hangs out on the first floor. When Sunny is roaming free, it is usually upstairs or at the piano in the living room, jamming with me. The dog is not allowed access to the living room.

I was not able to talk my mother out of it. Basically, my sister showed up with the dog and put it in her lap, and she was basically roped into it. I think it will be good for my mother to have a dog as a companion, but I was annoyed that no one, even my sister and the friend that brought the dog over (she used to have a macaw) didn't even consider the safety of my bird.

Unfortunately, my family never asks for my opinion, and when I express it they really don't listen. That's just how it always is and was. It comes with being the youngest.

The advantage my Sun has is that she can fly. I would be more concerned if she were clipped. She also likes to be on me, so I am hoping she will do so when the dog is in view.
I definitely understand and I donā€™t think it would be fair to ask your mom to give up the dog regardless of the situation! I love both my dogs and my birds and itā€™s not impossible to have them coexist peacefully in the same house. You just always want to be aware of how theyā€™re interacting. The good thing with a puppy is that it is essentially a blank slate so you can teach it how to behave around birds.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I definitely understand and I donā€™t think it would be fair to ask your mom to give up the dog regardless of the situation! I love both my dogs and my birds and itā€™s not impossible to have them coexist peacefully in the same house. You just always want to be aware of how theyā€™re interacting. The good thing with a puppy is that it is essentially a blank slate so you can teach it how to behave around birds.
I'd maybe disagree. A dog that has been with a family for years may realize the bird is part of the family and know it's not food. A puppy......Is going to see just a toy that doesn't need batteries.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It sounds like your bird and your momā€™s puppy have separate living spaces, which is great! I know itā€™s stressful and there are a lot of unknowns, but try not to borrow trouble before it happens. If you do your due diligence and keep them apart, there will not be an opportunity for something tragic to occur.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
At same time parrots bond to one person only so the mother may just want a pet of her own to love and give love to her. I love dogs had two beautiful girls who passed now I have Diva my four month old quaker and personally would never have a dog. I'm actually confident enough I could train a puppy to have boundaries with Diva but I live in a small one bedroom apartment I would not do it. I wouldn't have the room to set up seperate areas and would never let them in physical contact together so Diva would have to spend more time in cage and she's free range apart from bedtime. It wouldn't be fair and id be terrified of an accident. Diva also despite not been clipped shows no desire to fly and loves walking on the floor so that would worry me with dog. My real concern on this post is the puppy in question been terrior type it will take a lot of training and supervision to curb that hunting small animals instinct. Advantage been it's a house with different levels for both of the pets and the dog is a young puppy which is easier to train.
This situation is going to require a lot of supervision and it won't be easy. I wish you the best.

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
Dipsey and Charlie the cockatiels
Honestly as somebody who's always had dogs and birds it is hard, but do-able but very hard , I started off with small dogs and my birds. One my dogs couldn't have cared less and just went about her day, my other more stubborn dog liked to try pester the cockatiels in the aviary and got jealous and obessive when I talked to my Alexandrine. (He went blind as he got old so that stopped) The dog I have now was scared of my Alexandrine when he was around. She though is obsessive over the aviary. Depends on the dog and the situation. But I would make sure the cage is secure and that Sun can be in a room or area that can be closed off if needed. But lots supervision and precautions. Depends on the prey drive of the dog. But yeah I understand your concern.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Well, itā€™s been a few weeks and so far so good.

Fonzie is cute but Sunny and I still tight.

What makes this easier is that my mother is Fonzieā€™s primary caregiver and I am Sunnyā€™s.

Most Reactions

Latest posts