bird bath for eclectus

OP
Tami

Tami

Mar 2, 2013
I'm also looking for a stand that is sturdy that I can move to different rooms? Some of the complaints I've heard is that some are hard to clean or have the food dishes positioned so the bird can perch on them and poo in their dishes or on the floor.
Do you have one you like?
Thanks!

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I use a pump up garden sprayer. I bought it at a hardware store but all the big box stores have them. I like it because I can pump it up and it holds enough pressure to get a bird soaking wet. The spray is adjustable and nice and strong, but not harsh. Much better than a small squeeze bottle.

Some of my Eclectus prefer to bathe in their water dishes. I've given them bowls of water and they won't use them. So, I just change the water after they jump in the water dish.

Mine also like to sit in the shower. I always use cool compared to hot water.

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
If you have a large sink, you can make a bird bath (fill it with about 3 inches of water) and have the water dribble for them to play and bathe in.

As for spray bottle, don't use the squirt kind. Instead invest in a pressurized spray bottle. I got mine from petco, it's in the reptile section. Basically there's a pump, once you feel resistance, all you do is push a button and mist comes out of the nozzle. It was on clearance for 5 dollars, I bought it for my gecko and have used it a few times on Nalani. She wasn't intimidated by the mist and it is less messy and time consuming compared to a bird bath.

Like sodakat mentioned you can always shower with your bird. Invest in a shower perch, you can find a good one for about $15-30 online. Nalani LOVES to shower with me. There's no mess at all for you to clean, the perches fold from side to side so you can have it attached to the shower wall at all time.

As for perches, I have a sanded manzanita wood perch that I purchased from a local bird store. It works great and has stainless steel bowls that twist on. I suggest you try your local pet stores and see what they have. With java wood perches, I find them too slippery for the eclectus to grip. So I recommend: sanded manzanita (not the smooth un-sanded kind), grape wood or ribbon wood. They have more texture.

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
I tried to use the sink with Oliver but he wasn't into it at all, so then I tried the shower before investing in the perch and it was a total hit. So now, he showers twice a week with me and he too LOVES it. I do find it a bit challenging to get him wet under his wings because holding and pulling out his wing I can't seem to get it to extend enough to soak. I guess this is where a pump/sprayer would come in handy. When he's finished I put the perch on the other side of my glass wall where he's directly under the heat lamp and he's in total happiness doing all kinds of funny stretches and maneuvers.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I usually take mine in the shower with me or put them on a perch in the shower with cool water. If they are going through a spell of not wanting to come out of their cage (Ruby) I have a pump up garden sprayer. ;)

OP
Tami

Tami

Mar 2, 2013
I purchased a shower perch, one that folds back. Hopefully, she likes it. If not, I have 2 others that might. :)

melbourned

Sep 21, 2011
I bought a shower perch on Amazon for $20. My 2 eckies are comfortable on it and they shower with me. They attach to tile nicely. Amazon has several brands.

Most Reactions