Bird door gate?

chiawat

Aug 19, 2013
Hey everyone

I have a CAG and 2 small dogs. I keep them separated when the bird is out. Usually I am hanging out in the living room and the bird hangs out with me there, with the dog gate closed so the dogs can't get in. They all can visually see each other which is fine. The bird loves teesing the dogs knowing he is safe with me lol. My only dilemma is this. The dog gate is great keeping the dogs from coming in the living room, however if the bird flies off his T stand he has the potential of flying over the dog gate. His wings are clipped but not enough. I like him to at least to be able to glide a bit without getting height. My personal opinion. The bird should have some confidence and needs flight to gain it. But I was wondering if anyone knows of any gates which are really high to block or almost block the entire doorway. Keep in mind the doorway is about 2 1/2- 3 feet wide. Right now I have a "tall dog gate" - Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate w/ Pet Door - Dog.com.

Thanks guys!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Can't say I know of a tall dog gate that would fit the door... I mean, at that point, you might as well have a screen door!

Or.... you could do some sort of screening or beaded entry that wont prevent your grey from getting through but may deter him in flight.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I tried using a gate as well and found the bird climbing up and over it~ the only thing I could think of is maybe that screen you see on the infomercial with the magnets, but your dog could get through to easily. You could always install a screen door maybe

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Try hanging a curtain or sheet above the dog gate. that will keep wings from flying thru the area, also could use those 70's beads they used to hang in doorways...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I used to have Flying Squirrels and had to put up a screen door to my bedroom to keep them from taking over the house at night. They like pellets too.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Like HP said, a full close door, whether scree or regular door is probably your best option.....

Given a parrot's curiosity, if they can get over or around a barrier, assume that they will. Then there is the the fact that once on the other side of the gate, the bird may have become a bit too trusting and may have lost a bit of its natural fear of the dogs because they have not shown any aggression towards it.....in that situation, the bird could very well end up the proverbial dead duck as it could easily be cornered or may not have the clear area/space to safely lift off, out of the dogs' grasp...especially if the bird were to be caught in a hallway.....

I think your best scenario would be to put the dogs behind a full closure screen door or normal solid door.....or.....keep the bird caged when the dogs are out.....

Good luck.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts