Cage owners avian adventures be careful

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
Well after months of research I decided to buy the Grande dometop from Avian Adventures. It arrived yesterday. What a dissapointment. The packagees arrived in 3 boxes and had tears to the point the UPS man had to let me know he was putting it as "damaged" in his notes. I opened the largest box top sliding out the panel that had the door. The vertical bars were punched thru the horizontal ones and not welded. Some moved some didnt (you could wiggle them with your hand). In adddition the holes were not covered. I emailed the company and this was their response

"Thank you for contacting Midwest regarding your concern. The bars of the cage are designed this way in order to allow for “give” when the larger birds peck at or pull on the bars. This keeps them from being able to break the welds on the cages."

I had Emailed them several times before purchasing the cage and their responses were always very short, that should have been my first hint. Why would they not weld the holes with the bars in the holes. I think this is dangerous. I'm not even sure they inspect their cages after they are shipped from china.

Sadly there are no other cages made that fit our needs. I cant understand why there isnt an american manufacturer in the 21st century. All the other cage makers seem to place their feed areas up higher, which makes no sense to me and minimizes the cage space.

If anyone else has a grande dometop or experience with these cages do your bars move as well?
thanks

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I just looked at Kenji's cage which has a avian adventures sticker on the bottom.

The top bars are welded, but the middle and bottom on the front and back are not. The side bars are. But the bars in the holes are extremely snug so no toes or anything are going to be caught in them. It doesn't bother me, I can see how this could protect from snapped welds.

Can you take a photo of yours? From your description is sounds like the holes are too big, or they have just lost quality over the years (Kenji's cage is 5+ years old)

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
A lot of the cages are made that way now and yes, it does keep them from breaking the welds. Captured bars like you have are in fact ok. Unless you get a very heavy wrought iron cage a big bird will break the welds.

Granted some of these newer cages look cheaply made but they hold together pretty well.

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
thanks but shouldnt the bars be punched through and then welded to cover the holes and prevent them from moving in addition to not allowing moisture? Some move and some dont... ill try to take some pictures
thank you for responding

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
thanks steve but I was under the impression that the bars even if punched through would be welded not loose to where you can turn them around and as I mentioned above doesnt this also allow for bacteria and rust to be an issue wen moisture gets in those holes?

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
They should be captured in the rails. I will have to see the open hole you are talking about but from what I have seen they are ok. Most of the bars on mine spin and it makes it harder for bird to damage it.

I know this cage is a big deal, relax and take a deep breath. It is not the end of the world. Post up the pic's and WE can go from there. You are not alone here!:):):)

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
Steve thanks yes its frustrating because our birds are like children yet thosethat provide services and products dont seem to care at all here is a picture of a piece of the the dome top you can see one bar is welded and the others are not with a small openinig--- The larger panels have most of the bars this way no weld and small gaps for food and moisture to get into

Attachments

• cagedamagedomec.jpg
    cagedamagedomec.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 527

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've heard many great report about AA cages, but I can't say that I recall of anything mentioned about 'suspended' bars or spinning bars for that matter....

I wonder if there were any changes in cage design once Midwest bought Avian Adventures?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I wanted to add, that REALLY sucks that it seems they have bad costumer service. I find it rude and irritating when you email a company with your concerns and their response is very short and abrupt.

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
they now have sent another Email after I responded again with a longer message below ---besides the damaged areas (so far dometop and front panels have damage besides the bar issue), the bars throughout the cage whether it be the dometop, the side panels or the front panels all have loose bars and there are spaces as pictured above and at the tip of some of these you can see they werent painted so as they move it exposes the ends. Again I think the design is better than the other known brands but quality (bars being not welded) and packaging was awful

if anyone has a cage from these people can you share your thoughts

----

Thank you for your reply. Our quality team performs quality inspections, both in China and when the product comes into our warehouse. Our apologies if the item was received damaged, unfortunately we are unable to control how the product is handled once it has left our warehouse. If the leg is the only issue as far as damage, we will be happy to send a replacement part. We will need a picture of the part and a copy of your receipt along with your shipping information.

When you say the bars move, they should only move slightly up and down. They should not be able to move from side to side. If I misunderstood, I apologize. If the bars that you have move from side to side, enough for your bird to move them and get his head through, then there is an issue that we need to know about.

The design of the cage is the original design from the original manufacturer, we have not changed it since we have been making the Avian Adventure cages, and there have not been any reports of injury with any of the Avian cages. Our intention is to provide a safe, secure home for your pets, if there were any issues with the design of the cage we would address them immediately.

Some of the larger birds have extremely strong beaks and may be able to snap a weld if it has no give to it. Making the bars so that they go through into the frame tubes helps to alleviate that possibility.

You are welcome to send an email to our [email protected] address, this is viewed by the President of Midwest Homes for Pets, our marketing dept and our inside sales manager.

Last edited:
OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
Hi, i just wanted to make sure Im clear my bars dont spin they simply move side to side within the holes some seem to have welds in the holes some dont ( i took one panel of the dometop out of the box and you can move the panel and hear the sound of the bars moving.
I worry maybe bacteria etc can build up inside and rust etc can occur

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Grateful, what kind of bird are you planning for the new cage?

If it is a bird determined to have its out-of-cage-time when it wants it, you might want to do some more looking.....for a cage with welded bars..........

You could also send the link to your cage company as validation of your concern about non-welded bars ! ! !

Mikey, you might want to take note too....................

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ozZFsGAEJs]Hyacinth Macaw destroys cage - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts