Bird Evolution Q&A +Discussion

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
Two cockatiels: Sharlett (Cinnamon Pied) and Data (White-Faced Pied)
Hi! It's been a long time, lol.

Well, I've been researching bird evolution (what bits I can find) as it is a favorite hobby of mine. I want to know where these amazing creatures (and more specifically members of the family caucituidae) come from. Who are their ancestors? How did they change as they evolved?

Since we are all bird lovers here, I was hoping to have a discussion on this topic with all of you so we can share knowledge with each other. (I will be posting more in depth on my findings later.) If you have any questions on this topic, I would be more than happy to answer them! I am by no means an expert but I really like to share knowledge and discuss this topic with people whenever I am able to.

Any questions or information to share? :D

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There has been several discussion as part of the Parrot Forum regarding this Topic. Commonly driven by the release of recent Study and/or finding reports. Select Search and take a look.

There is a wealth of information on the development of Birds out there. Example: Recent findings in China regarding much earlier feather development, etc...

So, very interesting Thread and I will be happy to contribute from time to time.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The Fossil Record has taught us a wealth of knowledge of how birds and dinosaurs have a shared evolution. You are not alone with a deep fascination of early life on our planet. For some reason humans are utterly mesmerized with dinosaurs and the bird-like pterodactyl.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I recommend looking up information on the Archaeopteryx, and to follow the trails from there. Several wonderful articles on this amazing Genus of avian dinosaurs and the fossil records they left behind.

Avian evolution is exceptionally interesting. Learned a lot of awesome facts during my ornithology course, and the theories out there are incredible. Always go through those slides from time to time to learn more about them, and love my text book. It's incredible how much we're always discovering/learning. Definitely recommend looking at articles that are nearly ready for publication and have been peer reviewed, as they're cutting edge and always so interesting.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
My theory - velociraptors are direct ancestors and honestly besides prettier feathers, suckers have not evolved much :)

sorry, lots of smart aleck there... but absolutely believe they evolved from dinosaurs, they still have dinosaur looking toes!!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
9e559cccf730212808a3476a211b051d.jpg

Courtesy of April and Kiwibird. My Husband says this picture is true with Buddy our GCA, LOL!!!!

Great topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts