Need help/advice! Quaker parrot behavioural changes

met97

Jul 24, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Hey, this is my first ever time resorting to a forum around a specific topic to ask for help. Sadly, what I've read on Google seems to be useless and non specific to my situation. Figured I'd give this a go.

Long story short, I'm in my late 20s. Still live with my parents and had our quaker now for 4-5 years. My parents are discussing about rehoming our quaker due to the noise that he's making. Goes on loud squawking tangents throughout the day and in the evening. Sounds like really loud, constant, repetitive tweeting. Apologies for my poor descriptive words here.

It is progressively getting worse. I've taken more charge of looking after him over the last 6 months and feels like I've gained such a strong bond with him. To then hear that the opposite has happened for my parents due to his behaviour and looking to rehome.

Of course this saddens me and I'm sure it would sadden the bird too. I want to do anything and everything in my power to get them to change their minds, but need to figure out how to properly train a parrot the times to be noisy/quiet. Unless that's simply just not possible. I do not know. Happy to answer any questions if I have missed anything. Would just love some proper advice, or would rehoming be the right thing to do, despite how much it'd hurt me and possibly upset the bird?

Thanks all

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
How much time is the bird out of the cage? How much interaction does it have? Thats the first questions everyone will ask. Quakers are communal birds and live in big colonies. If he's not out alot interacting.....

OP
M

met97

Jul 24, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
How much time is the bird out of the cage? How much interaction does it have? Thats the first questions everyone will ask. Quakers are communal birds and live in big colonies. If he's not out alot interacting.....
Most days he will have around 3 hours out interacting. Mostly in the late afternoon/evening when most of us are home. I even bring him up to my office where he will sit on my shoulder for a good hour most days. It does vary

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Sounds like you are not doing too bad.
He needs training and socializing.
In our house we have to make the parrots the center of attention when we are home. Even if they are in the cage somehow we are reacting to them...

He's got a long life ahead of him and I am pretty sure he wants to spend it with you. He is safe with you and who knows where He'll will wind up if rehomed.
I mean if things don't work out with you and you find an amazing home don't feel guilty but in the meantime...

There is so much good reading and info on this site where you can learn to give this little guy the life he needs to be content.

I guess folks might ask:
Do you have any other pets?
how is his diet?
How big is cage?
Does he have toys?
wood things to destroy?

how was his relationship with the whole family before this change in behavior?
Could he be in season? For the first time??

Okay that's all I know!!
You got this.
Good luck.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hey, this is my first ever time resorting to a forum around a specific topic to ask for help. Sadly, what I've read on Google seems to be useless and non specific to my situation. Figured I'd give this a go.

Long story short, I'm in my late 20s. Still live with my parents and had our quaker now for 4-5 years. My parents are discussing about rehoming our quaker due to the noise that he's making. Goes on loud squawking tangents throughout the day and in the evening. Sounds like really loud, constant, repetitive tweeting. Apologies for my poor descriptive words here.

It is progressively getting worse. I've taken more charge of looking after him over the last 6 months and feels like I've gained such a strong bond with him. To then hear that the opposite has happened for my parents due to his behaviour and looking to rehome.

Of course this saddens me and I'm sure it would sadden the bird too. I want to do anything and everything in my power to get them to change their minds, but need to figure out how to properly train a parrot the times to be noisy/quiet. Unless that's simply just not possible. I do not know. Happy to answer any questions if I have missed anything. Would just love some proper advice, or would rehoming be the right thing to do, despite how much it'd hurt me and possibly upset the bird?

Thanks all
I understand your family’s frustration with that consistent, punctuated screaming. JJ did that a lot when I first got him and it triggers my migraine headaches so it was really hard for me to think of living with such a loud bird for another 15+ years (he was already middle aged when I got him). But he has gotten so much better. Hormones seem to make him much more inclined to scream, as does a change in routine or not getting enough attention. He really likes to have someone just check in with him frequently throughout the day. Paying attention to all of those things and also figuring out if something triggers his screaming ( JJ will start screaming if I’m dressed up because he knows that means I’m Leaving) have all helped reduce JJ’s screaming. If all of his needs have been attended to and he still decides to go on a screaming jag, we simply close the door to his room until he’s done “exercising his lungs.” Obviously you can’t just close a bird in a room all the time but if you can reduce his screaming with lots of attention and exercise, that can be a last occasional resort to save your ears. Quakers get so attached to certain people and don’t seem to like change, so I really hope you can keep your bird.
If not, please try to make sure he goes to a home with bird experience or a good rescue. Hang in there; I really think you can get through this in a way that’s good for your bird, your family, and you!❤️

OP
M

met97

Jul 24, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Sounds like you are not doing too bad.
He needs training and socializing.
In our house we have to make the parrots the center of attention when we are home. Even if they are in the cage somehow we are reacting to them...

He's got a long life ahead of him and I am pretty sure he wants to spend it with you. He is safe with you and who knows where He'll will wind up if rehomed.
I mean if things don't work out with you and you find an amazing home don't feel guilty but in the meantime...

There is so much good reading and info on this site where you can learn to give this little guy the life he needs to be content.

I guess folks might ask:
Do you have any other pets?
how is his diet?
How big is cage?
Does he have toys?
wood things to destroy?

how was his relationship with the whole family before this change in behavior?
Could he be in season? For the first time??

Okay that's all I know!!
You got this.
Good luck.
Thank you so much for this! That was very informative and I completely agree they love being the centre of attention. I thought it was down to us reacting to him when he starts his episodes, which makes him do it more. Not sure.

Yes we do have other pets. We have a French bulldog (sweetest thing ever, he's harmless) and sometimes my grandparents dog comes to visit us too. She on the other hand, is the opposite (in a playful way)

His diet I presume is great! He has his standard pellets everyday. He also gets fresh fruit/veg everyday. We include: pasta, quinoa, broccoli, apple, pear, carrot and grapes. (Not all every day, but this is an idea of the type of stuff he gets.

Not sure exactly, but his cage is plentiful. He doesn't even use most of it he always stays in the main spots most of the time.

He does have toys yes, maybe time to get him some new though!

No he does not have wood things to destroy. I'll be honest, did not know that was in their nature! (probs foolish of me). Might have to consider that. Might help as I will safely assume he can get bored.

Not in season for the first time and I think the relationship with everyone in the house has been relatively the same. I may be bias to noticing these changes though as I am here every day.

Thanks for your help!! :)

OP
M

met97

Jul 24, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I understand your family’s frustration with that consistent, punctuated screaming. JJ did that a lot when I first got him and it triggers my migraine headaches so it was really hard for me to think of living with such a loud bird for another 15+ years (he was already middle aged when I got him). But he has gotten so much better. Hormones seem to make him much more inclined to scream, as does a change in routine or not getting enough attention. He really likes to have someone just check in with him frequently throughout the day. Paying attention to all of those things and also figuring out if something triggers his screaming ( JJ will start screaming if I’m dressed up because he knows that means I’m Leaving) have all helped reduce JJ’s screaming. If all of his needs have been attended to and he still decides to go on a screaming jag, we simply close the door to his room until he’s done “exercising his lungs.” Obviously you can’t just close a bird in a room all the time but if you can reduce his screaming with lots of attention and exercise, that can be a last occasional resort to save your ears. Quakers get so attached to certain people and don’t seem to like change, so I really hope you can keep your bird.
If not, please try to make sure he goes to a home with bird experience or a good rescue. Hang in there; I really think you can get through this in a way that’s good for your bird, your family, and you!❤️
Thank you so much! It was nice to hear your side to this considering you have been in the exact same situation. Maybe he needs more playtime or something. Funnily enough he's been very chilled the last 2 days so it might have just been a seasonal thing.

We have changed a few things since posting this: the time of day he comes out and interacts. What we do when we do interact with him, and took a few things out of his diet. (He does what we call projectiling, very loose stool. You get the idea. Cucumber seemed to be the culprit so we have changed that and stook to the more less watery veg for now. Seems to be doing great! :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
A few suggestions
Quakers get territirial in and around their cage, so maybe a play stand with LOTs of wood toys for him to chew will help. A busy parrot is a quiet one. Quakers in particular are super duper builders and instictually build communal nests, One great thing to leave around him are either popsicle sticks or wood coffee stirrers. He will likely build a strong complex structure that you;'ll have to tear apart once in awhile, but its better then a screaming parrot!

I would also cut out the fruit and any sugar bearing veggies like corn. With out the ability to burn off those high energy calories, by natural foraging every time for hours at a time, that energy gets expended in... you guessed it, screaming!

Training a parrot to be quiet is a LONG term endevor. You have to wait until he is quiet, even for a few seconds, and then reward him, w/praise or a SMALL treat. Over and over and over again and its going to be much faster if everyone in the family does this. Its hard, no doubt. But it can be done.

But you need to talk to your folks. Parrots are like perennial 2-3 year old human babies, they need guidance, training and retraining, lots of positive interaction and love. Sounds like the folks were more of expecting "a nice pet in a cage" instead of what parrots really are.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
A few suggestions
Quakers get territirial in and around their cage, so maybe a play stand with LOTs of wood toys for him to chew will help. A busy parrot is a quiet one. Quakers in particular are super duper builders and instictually build communal nests, One great thing to leave around him are either popsicle sticks or wood coffee stirrers. He will likely build a strong complex structure that you;'ll have to tear apart once in awhile, but its better then a screaming parrot!

I would also cut out the fruit and any sugar bearing veggies like corn. With out the ability to burn off those high energy calories, by natural foraging every time for hours at a time, that energy gets expended in... you guessed it, screaming!

Training a parrot to be quiet is a LONG term endevor. You have to wait until he is quiet, even for a few seconds, and then reward him, w/praise or a SMALL treat. Over and over and over again and its going to be much faster if everyone in the family does this. Its hard, no doubt. But it can be done.

But you need to talk to your folks. Parrots are like perennial 2-3 year old human babies, they need guidance, training and retraining, lots of positive interaction and love. Sounds like the folks were more of expecting "a nice pet in a cage" instead of what parrots really are.
Yes to the popsicle sticks! JJ loves weaving popsicle sticks between the bars of his cage or, if he’s not in a “building “ mood, he will pick up all of the sticks I give him and put them away in his “toy mug”(where he puts things when he’s not using them). Either way, the sticks are helping him keep busy! One other thing I should have mentioned that helped with JJ was teaching him “talk softly.” When he starts screaming, I tell him ( in a calm, quiet voice) “JJ, talk softly please.” If he lowers his voice for even a moment, I praise by saying, “yes, good softly!” It took a few months to get a consistent response but He
knows what it means now and it can really help to nip in the bud any screaming fits.
B9B9915A-14F5-4F54-9933-F9EE963D6D6C.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Forgot to mention this - when my 'zon Salty goes on a screaming jag (and he can peel the paint off a refrigerator), if i whisper to him, it kinda takes the stuffing out of him and he calms down.

OP
M

met97

Jul 24, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Thank you both for your input! I've found this a very intriguing and useful read! I will be going forward to try and make these changes. Like I have said I have already made a few. Fortunately enough some are working, sometimes they are not. I think for him it's more about trying to keep him busy. Like you said, a busy parrot is a quiet one. That should help a lot and I appreciate the ideas! :)

What sort of fruit/veggies can I give him that aren't necessarily "high in sugar" for a parrot? Will try some different ones with him

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Cooked peas and string beans in the pod, carrots (I offer Salty whole carrots, he loves to go to town on them), Brussel sprouts. Raw - lots of the hottest peppers you can get, parrots love them, and they are full of vitamins. Regular peppers, red, Bell, yellow, green , orange, are not bad but very watery, so their poops will reflect that.
SOme spinach, kale, other leafy greens, but not a lot of them. Sprouts are really good for them, but take some prep work. I take all the ingredients, enough to make 15+ baggies with 3-4 day supply in each, freeze them and nuke them as needed. I add some crumbled up Nutraberries into the serving to soak up any excess water from freezing and serve at 100-105deg F. Salty chows down like a baby parrot does on this. Gulp, gulp, gulp.

Here is the last batch i made:

Brussel spout
Radicchio
Matchstick carrot
fresh corn, from the cob
Baby Kale
Broccoli head
Parsley
Dandelion greens
Collard greens
1 red and 1 yellow Bell peppers
3 handfuls of Jalapeno peppers
3 big handfuls of Red Chile peppers
3 big handfuls of green Chile peppers
1 lb Green beans

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yes to the popsicle sticks! JJ loves weaving popsicle sticks between the bars of his cage or, if he’s not in a “building “ mood, he will pick up all of the sticks I give him and put them away in his “toy mug”(where he puts things when he’s not using them). Either way, the sticks are helping him keep busy! One other thing I should have mentioned that helped with JJ was teaching him “talk softly.” When he starts screaming, I tell him ( in a calm, quiet voice) “JJ, talk softly please.” If he lowers his voice for even a moment, I praise by saying, “yes, good softly!” It took a few months to get a consistent response but He
knows what it means now and it can really help to nip in the bud any screaming fits.View attachment 52991
JJ would probably love a big pile q-tips to use as a building material.y budgie can't get enough q-tips to play with.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thank you both for your input! I've found this a very intriguing and useful read! I will be going forward to try and make these changes. Like I have said I have already made a few. Fortunately enough some are working, sometimes they are not. I think for him it's more about trying to keep him busy. Like you said, a busy parrot is a quiet one. That should help a lot and I appreciate the ideas! :)

What sort of fruit/veggies can I give him that aren't necessarily "high in sugar" for a parrot? Will try some different ones with him
So happy to hear you’ve already found some things that are helping! Just as a warning so that you don’t get discouraged; when learning new behaviors, birds will sometimes seem to do well and then suddenly revert back to old behaviors. This is a normal part of the process but should only be a temporary relapse. Don’t get discouraged, just continue doing what you’re doing and he should settle back down again 🙂.

Most Reactions

Latest posts