Bird Forum Manners

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
There are some really nice people on here, some are so very knowledgeable and then there is... me.

Wrench you are a wealth of parrot information. I learn so much about training just reading your posts. Please keep writing for us!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^This

Mom2Oatty

Feb 15, 2017
NC
Parrots
Oatty: 20 month Quaker
I just wanted to chime in...as a newb who hasn't fallen off! I don't post much (I'm due for a 90 days with Oatty update in a couple weeks). However, the knowledge I have absorbed by reading past threads and asking direct questions has been amazing. I'm not a pro, so it makes zero sense for me to put my 2 cents in! I also was doing some "forum shopping" and this one is by far more valuable to me. This group here is amazeballs! I've had a really hard time using the tapatalk ap on my phone...I can't see all the threads(ugh!), so I'm out of the loop unless I comment. I'll figure that part out and hopefully you won't mind me sticking around! So, maybe you don't catch everyone that posts or get updates from everyone...but you have me! And I'm uber thankful for all of you! 💕

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ashfaque

Mar 23, 2011
Toronto,Canada
Parrots
Moluccan Cocatoo
After reading this thread I am convinced I am at a good place with Yusuf. I do agree the onus is on the OP to respond back even if it's a Thank You it goes a long way and shows you as an Op has appreciated the help you have received from the fellow members. It's good to know and meet some good people here. Keep up the good work fellas it's about the bird not the owners...

Pureblood

Feb 6, 2017
Media
Parrots
3 lovebirds (Max, Zloba & Zora)
(Pika, lovebird, RIP 11/2017) & 2 budgies (Picek & Njofra)
Not posting a closure/conclusion bothers me as well, because I originally joined this forum because I needed help with something, and I couldn't google out an answer that was actually, so to say, "solved".

Very grateful to people who helped me out here, and I made sure to post a conclusion of the situation! :D

OP
Lacewing

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
Perhaps this posting will let members know that we do love to hear what happens to a bird problem that was written up for others to help solve.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I just wanted to chime in...as a newb who hasn't fallenoff.... I've had a really hard time using the tapatalk ap on my phone...I can't see all the threads(ugh!), so I'm out of the loop unless I comment. I'll figure that part out and hopefully you won't mind me sticking around! So, maybe you don't catch everyone that posts or get updates from everyone...but you have me! And I'm uber thankful for all of you! 💕

For that very reason, I do not use Tapatalk!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I just wanted to chime in...as a newb who hasn't fallenoff.... I've had a really hard time using the tapatalk ap on my phone...I can't see all the threads(ugh!), so I'm out of the loop unless I comment. I'll figure that part out and hopefully you won't mind me sticking around! So, maybe you don't catch everyone that posts or get updates from everyone...but you have me! And I'm uber thankful for all of you! [emoji177]

For that very reason, I do not use Tapatalk!

It's a lot easier to use on your phone than the website though. It does take some getting used to and I still miss stuff but it's better than nothing at all, so I'm glad we have the option.

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
Guilty as charged! I pop in and out, seemingly at my convenience. I have no excuses. just lots of explanations. I work full time, have adult children with health problems, 2 dogs to take care of, a lawn to mow, laundry and shopping to do, and I need time to read to the fids, sing to them, play with them, getting bitten, etc. (when I'm not cleaning their cages, feeding them, cooking ahead for their pleasure, making toys, etc.) I read you late at night, or early in the morning. I'm also squeezing out time to run to the doctor because I'm going blind in one eye and deaf on two ears. You are my family, the one I join with a cup of coffee. Guilt? Do I feel it? You bet, all the time! :) Come to think of it, I have to do an update on something I posted last week. Love you all, couldn't do it without you!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I am relatively new to the forum, only here a few months, but being here has taught me SO much already. I had a 10-year gap where I didn't have any birds (went to college, graduated, got married) and then I finally took the plunge and adopted two cockatiels, and this time around, I knew I wanted to be the best owner I could be. I had no other people in my life who were bird people, so I found this forum and it has totally changed my views of bird ownership and how to properly care for them!!

I never knew to feed CHOP. I realized what I was feeding my birds was not healthy, and changed it to include healthier stuff. We also live in an old, dimly lit house, so I got them their own lamp. They love it, and with these changes their feather quality seems to have improved, they seem happier, and it was all from reading what others have tried and done on the forum. Being part of this forum has totally opened my eyes to what a bird needs and what I was doing wrong before.

But there are others out there who aren't like this, who want a quick fix, words of affirmation at their situation, and so often these people get responses they don't want to hear (really great advice actually from highly experienced members) and don't actually realize the cost of owning a bird, or realize what it takes to give them healthy, happy, quality lives. It makes me wonder if I really do want to hear an update, because it would probably be something like this...

"So update: I didn't take any of your advice to bring my bird to the vet or take my unweaned baby bird to an experienced hand-feeder and my bird ended up dying. So yeah!"

The only thing we can do on the forum is give our advice to those who reach out. It is up to the poster to either take or not take this advice and act accordingly. I can only hope that these people take the advice to heart, but if not, hope that these birds end up in a better place, whether that be a home more prepared to care for them properly or birdie heaven with no more pain.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Guilty as charged! I pop in and out, seemingly at my convenience. I have no excuses. just lots of explanations. I work full time, have adult children with health problems, 2 dogs to take care of, a lawn to mow, laundry and shopping to do, and I need time to read to the fids, sing to them, play with them, getting bitten, etc. (when I'm not cleaning their cages, feeding them, cooking ahead for their pleasure, making toys, etc.) I read you late at night, or early in the morning. I'm also squeezing out time to run to the doctor because I'm going blind in one eye and deaf on two ears. You are my family, the one I join with a cup of coffee. Guilt? Do I feel it? You bet, all the time! :) Come to think of it, I have to do an update on something I posted last week. Love you all, couldn't do it without you!

Just pleased you can fit us in with all that lot LOL :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Members are always welcome to visit at leisure or in times of need. So many "shoulds" and mandates in life, let us not make PF a burden! My only chagrin is not knowing the outcomes of serious illness, but as itzjbean wisely suggests the answer is often obvious and sad.

OP
Lacewing

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
Thanks for your post Jackie. I have noticed more young people wanting parrots lately. Your right some get in over their head and post a "help me" on a bird forum. They do want a quick fix because that is the way of the world now. We all know in the bird world things move slower. This is an important skill for them to learn. When I give advice I usually ask for updates from the poster.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
While I enjoy reading an update from someone who has asked a question, to me the most important thing is if the bird was helped. Posts giving advice are read by so many more than the OP, and gives us a chance to reach more people and help more birds.
I agree with Scott, coming onto PF shouldn't be viewed as a burden or a chore, and people should not be judged for not updating their threads. So many here give advice freely, which is what makes this such a wonderful place.

Most Reactions

Latest posts