Bird Illness

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
"Apple" Yellow-sided Green Cheeck Conure
I searched a bit through the forums and didn't find anything. Thought this wouuld be a good thread for fellow junior members if there is one out there like this one.

I LOVE having my little guy hang out with me while I do EVERYTHING which includes doing dishes, house chores (non chemical cleaning), and even while eating. I did not give it thought at first but he poops a lot and everywhere since he is not potty trained. I clean his poopies and go about doing what I was doing. I hold him, pet him, give him head and neck rubs, kiss him... What health concerns should we think about while having these little guys with us. I personally would like to think that my little buddy could not get me sick at all but in all reality, he can. The only one that popped in my head was salmonella since birds are egg layers (spelling?). I am very conscience when it comes to my reptiles and wash my hands before and after handling them.

What are your thoughts on this subject and what do you do to prevent an illness if there are any to worry about?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Good topic. I clean and soak all food dishes and rotate water dishes for the cage in GSE in the soapy water. It is the best thing you can kill any germs with. It is even good for us humans as well. I use some of GSE for oral hygiene. Hand washing should be a standard. I avoid my birds being exposed to other birds at fairs and club meetings. I study avian nutrition and what is necessary to maintain a healthy bird. Annual physican exams are also done for my birds with an avian vet. I do not feed egg shells for the very reason you mentioned. Did I leave anything out?

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Thank you so much for all of that information! :D Very good advice and I will be sure and do the same

The thing I meant to ask was what type of illnesses can they transfer to us humans. Salmonella is the one I know for sure which is transferred through their feces (maybe other ways?).

I have thought about taking him with me to the grocery store, lol! BUT I know that would be a no no with all of the produce around.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
This is the opposite, but sharing food and kisses with your birds can make them sick... something as simple as giving them an infection with gram positive or gram negative bacteria types or both. Giardia would be a parasite that can be spread through anything making it an annoyingly zootonic parasite (especially for people who don't practice good hygene in their bird keeping husbandry. We use Nolvasan (unscented) for all animal related cleaning.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Nolvasan is a great product, it eats right through bird poop, kills all types of bacteria and viruses, and is fairly easy and safe to use.... I don't do it, but I know breeders who add a little nolvasan to bird drinking water on occasion... birds are stiall alive and healthy, so it can't be bad. The only draw back with Nolvasan is that it only comes in a gallon jug and it's about $60 for a gallon.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I would be careful with your bird hanging out with you while doing dishes, especially if on your shoulder. I was doing the dishes the other day and had my Senegal perched on my shoulder. One of the dishes slipped in the dish rack, spooking Tiki and causing her to fly off my shoulder and into a sink full of dish water. Her wings are clipped. Fortunately for two things, no sharp objects were still in the sink like knives and the water had cooled a bit so it was luke warm and not HOT.

I spristed her real good to get the soap off of her. Dish washing liquid can dry out the skin of an animal and cause all kinds of issues.

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Nolvasan is a great product, it eats right through bird poop, kills all types of bacteria and viruses, and is fairly easy and safe to use.... I don't do it, but I know breeders who add a little nolvasan to bird drinking water on occasion... birds are stiall alive and healthy, so it can't be bad. The only draw back with Nolvasan is that it only comes in a gallon jug and it's about $60 for a gallon.

I will definately look more into that, thank you! :D

I would be careful with your bird hanging out with you while doing dishes, especially if on your shoulder. I was doing the dishes the other day and had my Senegal perched on my shoulder. One of the dishes slipped in the dish rack, spooking Tiki and causing her to fly off my shoulder and into a sink full of dish water. Her wings are clipped. Fortunately for two things, no sharp objects were still in the sink like knives and the water had cooled a bit so it was luke warm and not HOT.

I spristed her real good to get the soap off of her. Dish washing liquid can dry out the skin of an animal and cause all kinds of issues.

Oh wow, something to think about. Good thing is that when I do dishes I don't keep the sink full of water. I sort them out, put them on the counter, soap them up in a group, put them on one side of the sink, rinse them, and then put them on the rack. Only thing that would worry me are the knives but will keep those covered with a dish towel from now on. I really enjoy him hanging out while I listen to music and wash dishes, he seems to enjoy singing along with me too, lol! Thank you for the warning. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts