Bird Life Hacks/Ideas!

Iridal

Apr 28, 2018
Parrots
Sun Conure - Mango (hatched May 2017)
Was kinda excited about this so thought I'd share. Sure I'm not the first, but thought it could be cool to have a "lessons learned" thread on cleaning hacks.

Mango likes to sit on our windows, on the top part, so the windowsill catches his poops pretty often. Those can be really irritating to clean once they dry! So we put clear shelving paper on all the windowsills and now its much easier to clean and doesn't damage the paint. :D AND you can barely tell they are there unless you look real close! Feels like winning.

Anyone else have any cool ways they deal with common problems?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I cut up those spikey computer floor-mats and surround the edges of all of her hang-out places with that (and it is portable). I should note, when I first got it, it had a scent, so I let it off-gas outside for 24 hours and then I just used scissors to cut out borders for perching locations---it works very well!
Hmmm....what else...cordless vac with a hepa filter is a life-saver...
I feel like my 2 suggestions semi-obvious "hacks", but at the moment, I am drawing a blank lol

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
dollar store shower curtains to keep food off the walls. Cheap so if they get ruined or something it's easy to buy more.

Ephy

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Parrots
A 4 year old House Sparrow named Kiwi and a 22 year old dove named Baby
I just bought a very quiet robot vacuum. It is amazing and really helps keep the seed on the floor problem to a minimum.
Thankfully both my birds are comfortable with it and not afraid of it. It usually runs before I get home, and because it is so light i can use it to spot treat areas if necessary.
It was the best purchase ever!

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Birdie likes to fly to the dining room chairs to poop. I just put paper towels under the chairs and problem solved. I should have invested in stock on paper towels years ago. Luckily, she also loves to poop in sinks....whew!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
baby-whipes

-> designed to remove poop anyway, totally harmless: babyproducs are really scrutinized here and (get the non-oily ones) it really removes stains from everything without any/ too much rubbing etc. without a trace
(just pick your brand/ type with care - some of them really stink!)

clingfilm is also an easy way to hide the fact that an area is poop-accident-prone ;)
(I dont use it myswlf, one of my friends has lovebirds that ignore anyhting on the floor, so for him it is safe to use)

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Birdie likes to fly to the dining room chairs to poop. I just put paper towels under the chairs and problem solved. I should have invested in stock on paper towels years ago. Luckily, she also loves to poop in sinks....whew!

I use newspaper for the same purpose

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
The Kenmore vacuum, it sucks up bird crap and everything and never gets clogged. It's a little bulky to pull around, but it seriously sucks up everything and never clogs.

4YfcCWSl.jpg

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Only the red one though, the newer versions are not made that good. This thing has sucked up so much bird crap it's ridiculous and not to mention it can maneuver and go around everything with ease.

OP
I

Iridal

Apr 28, 2018
Parrots
Sun Conure - Mango (hatched May 2017)
baby-whipes

-> designed to remove poop anyway, totally harmless: babyproducs are really scrutinized here and (get the non-oily ones) it really removes stains from everything without any/ too much rubbing etc. without a trace
(just pick your brand/ type with care - some of them really stink!)

clingfilm is also an easy way to hide the fact that an area is poop-accident-prone ;)
(I dont use it myswlf, one of my friends has lovebirds that ignore anyhting on the floor, so for him it is safe to use)

OMG I didn't even think about using those. That's genius.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I lay a folded, in scented trash liner on the window sill. It fits perfect with a little overhang and catches the poo. Now since we have new floors, I bought a rubber mat that is under the cages. Easy to pick up and hose down or wipe down with a mop. Zoom in to see the mat, they only had gray.

Also my Bissell pet vac picks up the little downy bird feathers, sander and little bird mess really well so I vacuum tables before dusting them down. It’s quick.

All stainless bird bowls are run through the dishwasher too

7fe2cd06a7348c472d00ddc7c25a22fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions