Bird or Bird-people themed SF or fantasy books

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have been running into some SF or fantasy books that have bird or bird person characters, bird deities (ex: Crow God). I thought some of you might enjoy them or find similar books. Anyhow I am going to list these books or book series here:

If you find similar books with bird or bird-people characters, please list them!

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Between Earth and Sky series by Rebecca Roanhorse.

The first book is โ€œBlack Sunโ€ and the second is โ€œFevered Star.โ€ The people live in a southwestern or Central American Indian type society.

Iโ€™ve had to wait so long for this second book that I donโ€™t recall it that well. But there is a Crow God that is returning after having been โ€œawayโ€ for hundreds of years, and the crow godโ€™s priest sometimes becomes a giant crow or crow-man.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I read just one: The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (by Robert Arthur Jr.) (edit: actually it's not sf nor Fantasy)

I was trying two other books - one of them was
The Parrot's Theorem and the second one's I don't remember the title... I'm not a fan of reading books

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This is one of my favorites.

emergence.jpg

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
โ€œThe Storm Crowโ€ and โ€œCrow Riderโ€ are fantasy books for young adults/ girls, by Kalyn Josephson.

These people have a group of warriors that ride giant magical crows (which also somehow moderate elemental magic, so a water crow brings storms, etc.). Iโ€™m rereading it and itโ€™s pretty interesting though it sounds hokey.
7E0BDC82-98EB-4CF5-A0AF-549F8E474658.jpeg

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am a voracious reader, 75% SF and the balance either historical novels or science related (last one was "Spineless - the World of Jellyfish"). I know of no SF novels that have bird or bird-people as a central character. Wish I did though!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think Iโ€™m finding newer fantasy novels, mostly for young adults. Maybe not SF.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
โ€œNettle and Boneโ€ by T Kingfisher gas a demon chicken character. It is a familiar and has a horned shadow. Otherwise it looks like a chicken.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
โ€œThe Merciful Crowโ€ a series by Margaret Owen. Itโ€™s young adult fantasy land I couldnโ€™t get into it. Will review if I read it.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The books of Pellinor series by Allison Croggon: the Naming(I) the Riddle (Ii) and the Crow (III). Read this several months ago, a young adult fantasy series with a brother and sister who are captured. The Naming begins with the sister who has been enslaved by faeries.

In โ€œThe Crowโ€, the third book of the series the brother adopts a magical crows

This trio was quite good.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
โ€œThe Alex Crowโ€ (by Andrew Smith) a YA post apocalyptic tale of a single survivor of a razed village, a schizophrenic bomber, diaries from an arctic expedition, and a depressed bionic reincarnated crow. Have not read this yet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts