Bird Reunion

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
Paco: Yellow Naped Amazon
I finally made it home from Afghanistan. It was good to see my family, including all my animals. It was especially nice to see my dog again as she just recently had a seizure for no reason that the vet could figure out. The first few days I was home, she did nothing but lay on the floor and barely move. She is now doing much better as you can see from the picture below.

I got to see my CAG Picasso again. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. He let me pick him up and carry him around. I could tell he was a little more timid cause he was shaking a bit and his wings were tight to his body but really low towards his feet. The only time he attacks me is near his cage when I try to put him back in. I included a pic of the war wounds and Picasso at play. He loves to hang from the top of his cage and play with one of his hanging toys. Could his attacks be from some cage aggression he developed or just a factor of me returning from being gone so long that he has to readjust to me? Either way, it is great to be home!

PicassoHanging_zps4f36797e.jpg

PicassoPosing_zps5233f334.jpg

PicassoWounds2_zpsf1a9416c.jpg

LapdogSadie_zps4d2ed98d.jpg

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome back home, hugs from Mishka and myself
You had me in tears........(I am the emotional wreck on the forum) LoL
I can just imagine how hard it was leaving your family and pets.
Glad your dog is doing better.....shows just how much she missed you, beautiful pic
Picasso, was probably a bit nervous, from what you had mentioned.
Perhaps when placing him back in the cage, he remembers he did not see you for long time, and fears it might happen again, if he goes back in......(I am trying to think like a bird) LoL

Sure in a few days, it will all change

Once again WELCOME HOME AND TO THE FORUM

hug8.gif

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Big fat WELCOME HOME!!!!! Glad you made it home safe and sound! Im sure the entire family is happy to have you back. Give Picasso a little bit to re-adjust, Im sure its an exciting and confusing time for him. Again welcome home, and thank you for your sacrifice and service!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome Home... and welcome back to the forum:)

I have a feeling his attacks are just him re-adjusting to you again! Dont worry, he will come round to you again :)

Lovely pics.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Welcome home!!! Wonderful photos!! You must be so happy to be with them again, despite those "love" bites :) I too think he will come back around to you!

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Welcome Home Marine... Semper Fi......
I thank you for your service.... Both my sons are Marines... oldest got out in 95 and youngest spent 2 enlistments... one long tour in Iraq....

I am sure he will adjust to you... I was in the hospital for a few weeks and when I got home my Abby was very reserved and a little aggressive, took her a week or so to get back to normal.

Again... Thank you for all you do to keep us Free...

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
First off a big THANK YOU! I am so glad to hear you are back safe and sound! I am sure that it is just going to take picasso a little while to readjust to you being back. It's great to hear that your dog is doing better, that is a great picture of the two of you!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Welcome home & thank you for your service! He'll be fine. Just needs to reconnect with you.

OP
Davinchi

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
Just an update on the progression with my bird re-training. It is going much better. I have not gotten bitten again but I have adopted a make-shift protective wrap to give me the peace of mind against that beak of his. I was afraid that he might be afraid of it and not step up, but he proved me wrong at that..lol

Hawk_Glove1_zpsbd4de2f2.jpg

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Thank you for your service and sacrifice! Im glad you are home safe and sound!
When I went away to University my dog needed anti-depressants. When I came home a month later, she refused to look at me and literally turned her back to me. When I came over to pet her she growled at me (Dalmatians are special) but after a few hours she started to come around and by the end of the weekend she had forgiven me. Eventually she got use to me coming and going. My horse on the other hand, always gets one good bite in when I return and I never know when its coming. She gives me a very special look and we call it the horsy middle finger. Once she gets me good once, she is over it. I dont know about greys, but my red belly has some serious attitude and I wouldnt put it past him to hold a grudge. Maybe youre getting told off about leaving?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm a bit late, and I apologize for that, but WELCOME HOME & THANK YOU! My son just left for Basic Training a little less than 2 weeks ago (Army), and I was in tears when I read your post.

Very happy to hear of the quick progress you are making with Picasso. :) How is your dog?

Again, welcome back and thank you for your tremendous sacrifice.

OP
Davinchi

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
I'm a bit late, and I apologize for that, but WELCOME HOME & THANK YOU! My son just left for Basic Training a little less than 2 weeks ago (Army), and I was in tears when I read your post.

Very happy to hear of the quick progress you are making with Picasso. :) How is your dog?

Again, welcome back and thank you for your tremendous sacrifice.

Thank you very much. Things are definitely getting better with the bird. It will just take time I think. I recently received my Celltei Pak-O-Bird backpack and am in the process of getting Picasso used to it.

KevinT

Oct 11, 2012
Welcome home, and as so many have said, thank you for your service.

I spent 1995 on an unaccompanied tour in Korea. That was nothing compared to your deployment, of course. I only mention it because it created a similar homecoming situation with our first bird, a Grey Cheeked Parakeet (Brotogeris Brotogeris) named Petrie (named after the pteranodon in The Land Before Time animated films).

Anyway, when I came home on a mid-tour leave after being gone seven months, Petrie turned his back on me in his cage and wouldn't respond when I talked to him.

I reached in and told him to step up. He chomped my finger, then he stepped up and immediately reverted to his usual friendly and affectionate self.

I guess he just had to tell me off, then everything was fine.

The same thing happened when I returned from the second half of my tour.

I guess I should just be glad Petrie wasn't a larger bird.

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Welcome home. Your family must be thrilled. My hubby is a Marine and after 5 deployments he is home for good. Im sure Picasso will come around with time. He has been aways from his daddy for a long time. Good luck in all you do

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Thank you so much for serving our country. A Little late I guess, and welcome back! I think it's because he missed you a lot and doesn't want to be put back in as he's afraid of you leaving again. Just imagine if birds could talk you cag would probely be saying to you while hes biting you " bad human,bad human, never leave me again. Bad human, as punishment GIVE ME MORE PEANUTS!!! " hehehehe

OP
Davinchi

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
He seems to have gotten used to me again thankfully. I do not have to wear the towel wrapped around my hand for protection anymore. I thought he was scared because of how he kept drooping his wings when I would hold him but upon further research, it seems it may be part of a mating ritual or what people refer to as the "sexy dance". All things going good on the reunion front. Thank you for all your good wishes and thanks.

Most Reactions