Bird room, and sleep cages

OP
Chastjw71

Chastjw71

Jun 5, 2013
NW WA state
Parrots
Male Senegal Parrott
As for Mallory (the Senegal, his original owner assumed he was female ) We will slowly introduce him to the B&G when he gets here and see how they get along, if as now assumed they don't ever get along then Mallory will still be safe and comfortable is his present set up.Still getting plenty of interaction, and out of cage time.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Weco, I think your misunderstanding me, I have no limitations. Im more then willing to get the proper set up here. I'm asking what size sleep cage I should get? I only said I have the 3'x2' cage and IF it could work for only a sleep cage great. If not then ill purchase the proper one. The height is around 32" so that will not work. I am not assuming anything I'm just asking questions so I can make this the best possible living arrangements for him. So what size, style cage would you recommend for a sleep cage? he will only me in it during sleep time. I've read of people using large dog crates for their sleep cages but, what your saying is to small, correct?

Where I was having a problem was the the presumption that a particular bird would accept a sleeping posture that is not natural to its species.....a blue & gold macaw in a somewhat restricted horizontal position.....granted, there are pics of different birds sleeping on their backs, on their sides and even prone, but those are after-the-fact pictures, not of birds that have had these sleeping accommodations designed/built for them, before their arrival.....I guess my thinking was originally running towards bird-safing and existing room with little major modification, so I offered information on that premise.....

Your mention of a 3'x2' cage, along with the added "he will only me in it during sleep time" led me to ask about height, figuring you were not thinking your ideas through, while I'm thinking "a 3' long bird that does not recline naturally, why are we hypothesizing that the bird is going to agree to go in this tube style cage that essentially is only going to let it lay in a prone position, without letting it turn/move around.....

I am by no means closed minded and am used to thinking out-of-the-box, so to speak, that is why I felt you needed some type of ventilation in your closet styled cage container...and...knowing the normally styled closets designed into older U.S. homes, especially when the given closet has an enclosed/insulated heat source that will be introducing an additional heat factor into this closet/cage configuration.....I was at a loss, trying to rationalize that a couple of inches of space above and below a curtain hanging across a front opening is going to provide any measure of proper ventilation.....then there was the the mention of two windows that could be opened and the suggested use of a fan or fans, I just thought it best to back out of the discussion.....

I had thought that the black-out curtain was to restrict light.....if fans are introduced, there's going to be a fluttering of this curtain and unless the fan(s) are inside the closet, there will be little ventilation/cooling that will go on inside the closet.....as to assuming the open windows will satisfy the necessary cooling/ventilating requirements, you'll probably need one of the suggested fans mounted in an open window, but then, you're going to have to again contend with the fluttering black-out curtain.....the last problem I didn't think was being considered was what actually was being/needed to be arrived at as far as all this suggested, potential ventilation was concerned was that two open windows do not do birds, contained in sleep cages in, by the nature of its design, an air restricted closet.....think the roiling clouds of two meeting air masses...as they meet, they begin to roll/boil back over themselves and around them, but insert a barrier (three sided closet) and things stop, even the curtain will retard the ventilation you are trying to create, especially inside the closet you are trying to ventilate.....

Thought you needed a better explanation than just leaving my responses hang.....

OP
Chastjw71

Chastjw71

Jun 5, 2013
NW WA state
Parrots
Male Senegal Parrott
Thank you weco. All I meant was i wasn't assuming anything but just asking questions so I could get things the best possible. And if I get things wrong they will be fixed as needed. I do agree on your point of ventilation. Windows and fans would be maybe ok in good seasons but no good in winter. So vents of some sort will be best. But to make the air movement slow enough to not create a draft on him. And the piping for the bathroom are on the other wall so there are no pipes inside the closet wall. Something that comes to mind after this conversation what about people that cover their birds cage at night with either a blanket or a special made cage cover, that would restrict all ventilation completely right???

Sorry about that typo. I meant to type "he will only be in it at sleep time" that was part if the question I was asking but after your answers and thinking about I agreed you were correct and said that cage would not work. The only reason I thought it might work was I was reading how some people us large dog crates as sleeping cages. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Most Reactions

Latest posts