Bird safe saline solution

Smokey090

Mar 15, 2024
A little soap got into my cockatielā€™s eye. Anyone used saline solution to flush out irritants from birdā€™s eye before? If so what brand would u recommend

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I always have contact solution ( basically like saline) on hand so I use that for flushing eyes when necessary and it works well. Any brand should be ok. Just be careful not to get it in his nose! ( it has a tendency to run down the beak and sometimes get in the nostrils). Hope your Cockatiel is ok ā¤ļø

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I would avoid contact solution since it's not always just saline, sometimes it has cleaning solution mixed it. If you read the label you're probably fine, but I personally would look for something labeled to be actually used on people, rather than something labeled to put contacts in.

You can buy saline eye drops or saline nasal spray and use that. Just make sure it's saline and not medicated. The brand doesn't really matter, saline is saline, but you do want to avoid anything medicated. Alternatively, you can actually make saline... just mix salt and water, microwave, let cool.

Most Reactions