bird sitting and quarantine

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
when is it necessary to quarantine a new bird coming into the home? A lot of people seem to "bird sit" for other bird friends and dont use quarantine. I also recently visited a local bird shop that had several guest/private birds there for boarding that were caged within feet of birds for sale. Can someone explain quarantine more fully please?

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
Any new bird coming into a home should be quarantined for at least 30 days, even if testing has been done for diseases. False negatives do occur so this is the only right advice.

People who bird sit or board birds do so without knowing if they are allowing the birds to transmit potential deadly diseases. The only safe bird sitting should occur in your home or in the home of someone with no birds at all.

People do a lot of things the wrong way. Learn from their poor decisions the easy way. The hard way could mean having a dead parrot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ideally a quarantine is set up so that a new bird is in a completely different area from existing birds, preferably an area that doesn't share the same central air/heating ducts.

Of course this is fairly difficult, if not impossible to do for most parronts.

A bird should be quarantined for no less than 30 days, during which time the bird should also be vetted thoroughly (tested for communicable diseases).

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yep! Some people have just been VERY lucky. But as has been said, a 30 day quarantine period at the very least. True quarantine would actually be 90 days, to account for the false negatives that Brittany mentioned. After all, some diseases can only be detected while actively shedding.

And yes, as Wendy mentioned, true quarantine calls for separate air systems as well. Since this is impractical for most, you just have to try to do the best you can to maintain the integrity of each environment. This means changing clothes and even shoes when going from the room of one bird to the other. Also thoroughly washing the hands and arms and making absolutely certain that no bird dander has tracked out with you via your hair.

This is, of course, an aggravating process. But well worth it once you consider the possible alternative.

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
It IS aggravating. I'm dealing right now the best I can (wearing a robe with one bird and then removing it for the other) since I'm in a chair and changing clothes is NOT happening.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I do have birds to stay, they are birds of my friends I trust. We have each others interests at heart and will not jeopardize each others birds. If I had any worries at all I would not take them into my home. But if in any doubt quarantine, rather than not.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Having nearby friends who are also into birds is the best case scenario, as long as they are as aware and careful about disease transmission as you are. A friend who has a bird, but has a lot of bird traffic through their home might be more liability than asset.

Plumsmum, sounds like you have multiple friends nearby with birds. I'm a wee bit envious, here. Most are lucky to have one. Lol!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Having nearby friends who are also into birds is the best case scenario, as long as they are as aware and careful about disease transmission as you are. A friend who has a bird, but has a lot of bird traffic through their home might be more liability than asset.

Plumsmum, sounds like you have multiple friends nearby with birds. I'm a wee bit envious, here. Most are lucky to have one. Lol!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It is nice to have an additional part time flock that accept me as their also mom and I get in loads of extra cuddles. You learn a bit too. :)

Yes caution is definitely the word of the day. Know the people and know the bird.

Most Reactions