Birdbreeders.com reliability

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
How reliable are the reviews on that site? I found a breeder near me, but the bird won't be ready until April. He will take a $300 deposit, and his price was very reasonable. I did enjoy speaking with him as well. He seemed to know very much about the breed, and he was very kind and patient with all my questions.

However, I have heard horror stories of breeders running off with people's money, and not supplying the bird.

What's the story with that, and how widespread is that kind of thing? This man has several five star reviews on birdbreeders.com, so I'm hoping that won't happen, but you never know. Since the bird isn't going to be weened until April, that's a long time to wait and in the meantime, he could be saying he has a bird and he doesn't.

Again, I'm just so skeptical. Thanks.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
We have used birdbreeders.com three times (2 green cheek breeders and 1 when we needed a male cockatiel for an alternative lifestyle relationship with a male we had that was thought to be a female).

We had great experiences with all three, but the ratings were based on multiple reviews, not just a couple. That would be the biggest thing I would point out is to go with a breeder who has multiple reviews from different people. Also check them out on facebook and do a google search for the breeder's name and reviews. Finding nothing is not a huge concern, many people won't take the time to leave positive reviews, but if someone is on the wrong end of a bad deal, most people will be quite intent on warning any and everyone who will listen.

Good luck in your search!!

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
Thanks, I found lots of positive reviews on birdbreeders.com, but nothing in my google searches. The breeder and hand feeder took a long time to speak to me. At least they don't take an enormous down payment, which is good. I would just hate to have to wait for a bird until Spring, and then the bird isn't available, even if they have my money.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
MOST of the folks on birdbreeders.com have been there awhile. They won't stay in business long cheating folks. Of course the old adage applies " buyer be ware". If they 've been on there awhile and advertise nationally, then chances are they're OK if you ask the right questions and use your head.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Maria, did the breeder say whether they currently HAVE the baby you are looking for, but it's just a wee one at this point? Or did they put you on a waiting list, with a promise of having a baby ready for you by Spring???

I personally would not put money down to be put on a waiting list, but ONLY if they had the baby I wanted, and again, then only if they would guarantee to update with pictures at least weekly. :)

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Adopting a rescue or bird in need of a home is always a great option! We have done both and honestly I can say I feel great about knowing we changed the life of a bird in need.

Let us know how things go!

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
Maria, did the breeder say whether they currently HAVE the baby you are looking for, but it's just a wee one at this point? Or did they put you on a waiting list, with a promise of having a baby ready for you by Spring???

I personally would not put money down to be put on a waiting list, but ONLY if they had the baby I wanted, and again, then only if they would guarantee to update with pictures at least weekly. :)

They have eggs that will hatch soon, and the babies will be ready this spring.

They have 8 five star reviews, all dating from 2013. There is no website, or FB site.

Last edited:
OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
Adopting a rescue or bird in need of a home is always a great option! We have done both and honestly I can say I feel great about knowing we changed the life of a bird in need.

Let us know how things go!

I would do that in a heartbeat if we didn't have children. One bite or discouragement from a bird would make them upset.

We've been to a rescue and also to a home with a bird who was quite aggressive, and the kids were turned off. I would be worried that the bird would take forever to warm up to them, as children have no patience.

At least with a baby, we have a bigger chance of properly socializing the bird, and they wouldn't be as afraid of it.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
you might want to ask if something should happen to the chick(s), and they don't make it(god forbid), what happens to your money?...will it be refunded?

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
you might want to ask if something should happen to the chick(s), and they don't make it(god forbid), what happens to your money?...will it be refunded?

If the chick dies while they have it, they said I will get my money back, or I can use it toward another bird. I would pay with paypal, which has some protection too.

There is also a 72 hour vet-check period after the bird is with you to make sure it's okay

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'd ask about that situation,, and what pick of the litter do you have?? If you payed first ,,you should have first pick.

OP
Maria_Metropolis

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
I'd ask about that situation,, and what pick of the litter do you have?? If you payed first ,,you should have first pick.

They said I could reserve a male if they had another one, but if the eggs turn out to be all female, then I would have to get a female, or wait for another clutch, or get my money back. Someone already reserved one of the eggs, so there's only two left. It's a SI Eclectus I'm looking at.

I wouldn't mind a female, it's just that you hear the males are more sociable.

They said I could wait too, and not reserve one until I find out what sex it is. I live 2.5 hours away, so it would be rather difficult for me to visit in person to pick a baby. I would need to see a photo. They would then meet me at the next bird faire in my area to deliver the baby when he/she is ready. It's near my home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts