Kimberline

Apr 13, 2016
Stuart, Virginia
Parrots
BG Macaw
Mollucan Cockatoo
African Grey
Conure
Hi and thank you for having a forum that has lots of information! We have a BG Macaw, Mollucan Cockatoo, African Grey and a little old man Jenday Conure :)

I've rescued a couple of cockatoos in the past and after rehabilitating them, I found a wonderful home for a Lesser Sulfur and I kept the Mollucan. And of course the Mollucan (KoKoi) is my baby.

I'm interested in more information on Macaws. Angel (macaw) is quite aggressive and I'm hoping I can find some good advice on how to deal with her. Of course it doesn't help that she's hormonal and molting right now lol

:blue1::white1::grey:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I might be your go too guy when it comes to aggressive macaws.

The big thing about big macs is boundary setting. You need a firm hand.

And they can't be allowed to intimidate you. Closed bent fist so there is nothing to latch onto, and just push the beak away. The command I use is "knock it off!"

Once you stand your ground and reign in the "intimidation game" they tend to turn into lap birds.

There's lots of how to information in the macaw section already.

OP
Kimberline

Kimberline

Apr 13, 2016
Stuart, Virginia
Parrots
BG Macaw
Mollucan Cockatoo
African Grey
Conure
Thank you Birdman! I will be reading up. When she tries to bite, I tell her 'no bite' and she stops. I think her bites are more intimidation because she hasn't bitten me hard 'yet' lol I keep waiting for her to laugh after she tries to bite me but she hasn't yet. We've only had her for about 2 months so I know everything is new to her and us so I'm hoping with time she will chill out some and trust us.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forum! You have quite a diverse flock, pictures are always appreciated!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Pearl, Female, Cockatiel: Penelope
Welcome to the forum! Wow, I think it's awesome that you rehabilitate them! :D Well, if you need anything, anybody on the forum would LOVE to help! Have a wonderful day! :)

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
Hi Kimberline ! Welcome to the forum. How great that you rehabilitate them! Best of luck look forward to hearing more.

Most Reactions