Birds hit the window?!

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
So this week, three birds have crashed into the big window in my living room. One died, the others recovered and flew away. Usually they never hit it, is there something that could be causing them to, and is there a particular product that works best for warning them?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Window decals may help. They come in all different shapes and sizes. Here are a few examples:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Window-Alert-WA-BUTTERFLY-Butterfly-Decals/dp/B001OE6WHG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436535545&sr=8-2&keywords=window+decal+for+birds]Amazon.com : Window Alert Butterfly Decals : Bird Window Decals : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Window-Alert-WA-HUMMINGBIRD-Hummingbird-Decals/dp/B001OE5HIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436535577&sr=8-3&keywords=window+decal+for+birds]Amazon.com : Window Alert Hummingbird Decals : Bird Decals For Windows : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Birds-View-window-Clear-Etched/dp/B00K65NNIK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1436535577&sr=8-6&keywords=window+decal+for+birds]Amazon.com : Bird's Eye View window film (6) 4X4 Inch, Clear/Etched : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
I had one hit my window last week and I have decals on my windows...odd. There's an old wives tale to a bird hitting your window and what it's supposed to mean.

Last edited:
OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Thanks, I'll have to order those decals soon before anybody else gets hurt!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I forgot to mention that I have one rather large window facing our front, and yes, for some strange reason certain birds slam into it more this time of the year than any other time. :eek: (Mostly my beloved and super territorial Hummingbirds....but knock on wood, so far I've had zero casualties)

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
How many times do the birds crash into the window? I've had one fly into the window three times before realising it was there. :O

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Our landlords hang post it notes in the windows to warn birds. It may be this time of year the sun its it at the right angle or something that makes them not realize it's there.

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
How many times do the birds crash into the window? I've had one fly into the window three times before realising it was there. :O

Just once, but they hit it so hard they either die or need to take some time on the ground to recover, so I'm thinking the window is reflecting the tree in front of it, or they think it's not there because it's so big.

Most Reactions