How to remove Olive oil from bird tail?

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
I know the title sounds irresponsible but I had my birds out in the living room and I hit my foot on the coffee table and scared all three of them. Tito flew into the kitchen and his tail landed in the pan of oil. The pan wasn’t hot and nothing in the kitchen was on but now his tail looks so dark. Could I used some dawn dish soap on it?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Dawn should be safe. Dawn is used by organizations to clean birds after oil spills.

ZorroKnowsAll

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Sep 28, 2023
Europe
Parrots
Zorro (my caique)
TequiIa, Blue lagoon, Hibiki and Pumpkin spice (greencheeks, mostly my boyfriend's)
Icarus and Gaia (budgies)
❀️
You could try rubbing coconut oil into the tail and then rinse it off with room temp or lukewarm water. It's safe and consumable, and it takes off my waterproof mascara so it should definately do the trick xD

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Idk if adding oil to oil will help the situation--but if you do end up trying I'd be interested to know how it goes!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I know the title sounds irresponsible but I had my birds out in the living room and I hit my foot on the coffee table and scared all three of them. Tito flew into the kitchen and his tail landed in the pan of oil. The pan wasn’t hot and nothing in the kitchen was on but now his tail looks so dark. Could I used some dawn dish soap on it?
I second everything everyone else said, but also just don't stress a ton about it. Try to get it out, of course, but don't traumatize your bird while doing so. Small amounts of olive oil likely won't even make them sick, so don't get too stressed if you can't get it all out.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hahaha πŸ˜‚ I couldn't help laughing when I read the title of this thread and saw the picture of 3 tiels on the avatar knowing how much mischief they get into... But hey lucky it wasn't a hot pan, a good time to remind ourselves to put our birds away when we're cooking.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hahaha πŸ˜‚ I couldn't help laughing when I read the title of this thread and saw the picture of 3 tiels on the avatar knowing how much mischief they get into... But hey lucky it wasn't a hot pan, a good time to remind ourselves to put our birds away when we're cooking.
I vote for Dawn- the bottle with the baby duck on the front.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
You could try rubbing coconut oil into the tail and then rinse it off with room temp or lukewarm water. It's safe and consumable, and it takes off my waterproof mascara so it should definately do the trick xD
I will have to go buy some!

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
I could never have them out while cooking 🀣 they are too clingy and would end up being cooked 🀣

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
It dried and the end of his tail looks so dark. Hopefully it gets out over time
It may or may not, but it’ll be out when he molts. As long as there aren’t cooking chemicals mixed in he should be fine to preen it and stuff.

Most Reactions

Latest posts