Birds outside

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
I would like to take my B&G outside for some sun and fresh air. Do you guys use the flight harnesses to make sure your bird doesn't take off. Echo's wings are clipped but I am still a lil concerned.

Lesa1211

Mar 29, 2012
Pittsurgh PA
Parrots
Kia-Goffin Cockatoo, Paco-Indian Ringneck
Kia's wings are clipped, but I still harness her when I take her out. I live around wild animals (bunnies, deer, racoon, ect) so I like the harness for saftey. You never know. Your bird make get spooked. With the harness you can get control quickly.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I'd much rather be safe than sorry, so while I would eventually like to harness train Sugar, whenever I take either bird outside, they are either in a Pak-O-Bird or in the travel cage. Many members here have outdoor cages for their birds to spend a few hours in on nice days; that's also a goal of mine.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I can roll my cage out the door, however it is large,bulky and heavy~ I f he is going to stay out longer than me i will take th ecage out. If I am gardening or just hanging out I will use his playstand, or just put him on a chair~ he is clipped and in 16 years has never flown, he can glide down but not up, he doesn't have the muscle

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I suggest his travel/evacuation cage,until you get him harness trained. it's tougher to train an older bird but it can be done. I clip my pet's wings ,maybe 100 times in 40 years,I weigh her often and know her pretty well. I can think of 3 times she has "escaped" and i had an ordeal getting her back. Countless times she has spooked and could have had bad outcomes,We've been lucky numerous occasions.I guess you should" do as i say and not as i do". You can't be too careful and there's lot's of unexpected hazards. Another thing ,when taking your indoor birds out into the sunshine, watch for signs of overheating,(panting,holding wings out from body,etc)they're used to a constant cooler temp when in the house.They don't have to be in direct sunlight ,even in the shade they get reflected light,just not as big of a dose. 15-20 minutes is enough to start with. Mine love it after a good wet shower.

Last edited:

Birdman.

May 8, 2012
Colorado
My greenwing has its own branch on a giant blue spruce. There are so many trees around that if he we to take off he is gonna run into a tree.

Chaz12

Jun 5, 2012
Media
Belle MO
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Ya took my Yellow Shouldered Amazon outside. She started to sink her claws into my shoulder- nothing like hanging on tight... lol I had the same concerns and we live in the country town of Belle MO.. There is hawks, owls, ect around here, so it might not be the best idea. Perhaps a dog kennel would be better, giving the bird a view of the outside world and keeping him safe from preditors.. A 8 x 8 dog kennel isn't to expensive.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
becareful with the dog kennel, wire mesh is big enough for bird to get his head through. Don't want them to get their head stuck and freak out, might get hurt.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Honestly, I don't use any harness or cage. She has free range of my house and yard, but is supervised. At first I did use a harness because we just got her, but she isn't too impressed with outside so we don't use it. If you want to have your bird not use a harness work your way up. However, be aware that birds can fly up to 35 ft with clipped wings. I can back this up from experience. I also kida see harnesses as dangerous because if you lose grip adn your bird takes off the leash can get caught on anything and everything.

OP
rsaskey

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
I've held her on my hand and took her into the front yard( on my porch) and let her see the cars drive by and stuff. She didn't mind it. I made sure I had a decent grip on her tho.

Conito4Ever

Nov 17, 2011
Teaneck, NJ / NYC
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw 'Minty' (Mentita) - doh 08/05/11 aka Mentita; Peachface Lovebird 'Pichito' doh 10/05/10; baby CAG "Coco" doh 01/25/12; Sun Conure 'Conito' doh 04/13/11 RIP 11/14/11.
I take both my Hahns and CAG outdoors (front porch/yard). They are clipped but always supervised and usually one at a time. They love going outside and are not afraid at all. I also go to the post office with the Hahn's perched on my shoulder. The USPS clerk once told me "Our animal policy clearly says that no dogs are allowed so I guess the little guy is welcome" lol.

Attachments

• IMG-20120616-00167.jpg
    IMG-20120616-00167.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG-20120616-00189.jpg
    IMG-20120616-00189.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

mxdeanmay

Jun 11, 2012
Media
uk
i use harness take my macaw outside but i have a aviary for them. i got my aviary from ebay.and dont clipped wings my macaws dont try fly if they dont fly in the home they will not try fly outside
543334_10150970458148966_590217144_n.jpg

581887_10150723802858966_1524984988_a.jpg

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
i do not use a harness. his wings are clip to. but i feel safe that he wont try to fly off. he see cars everyday loud ones to n see dont even try to fly away. but thats me.. everyone is different. yea thats a nice ideal taking the cage outside to but for me it doesnt feel like he has freedom being out of the cage. Everyone is different. but yea i dont put one on him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts