Jan 14, 2014
Media
Delanco, N.J.
Parrots
double yellowhead
chaco bluefront
yellow nape
Jan.18,2014

Now that I have 3 Amazons, I have learned a lot about them. My first bird was Spanky 13 years ago. I then added Meadow who was about 5 at the time. The funny thing is that Meadow picked up every single phrase that Spanky said in only 30 days. He hasn't said anything different since then. Is there a certain time in their lives when they stop picking up new words ?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It depends. Most of my zons use words that mean something; ie, I'm mad,hungry,want to go. etc. If they feel like they are being understood with the vocabulary they have, then no ,they don't pick up new words.Of course you learn their "bird" language and the need for a human word isn't necessary. If you create the environment for them to expand their communication then they will.If you talk with them then they'll converse with you. And yes, birds will learn words faster from another bird then any other source.Two syllable words , lively, enthusiastic, especially songs, are their favorites.

Last edited:

Most Reactions